cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of 7.6.1 NBU client on Windows 2003 R2 64-bit rolls back and fails

Mulla
Level 2

We have Windows 2003 R2 64-bit server . It is currently installed with BackupExec for its daily backup.

I am trying to install NBU client version 7.6.1 over it .So my plan is to install the client on it,then configure the backup for it and if successfull uninstall the BackupExec permanently.

But my NBU client 7.6.1 installation rolls back and fails with the below error.

Action ended : InstallExecute.Return value 3
Could not retrieve CustomActionData MSI property.Returning with error
Could not open the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\VxMS registry key
Action ended:INSTALL.Return value 3

We have also rebooted the server and then tried installing but no luck and same failure.

Unregistered and reregistered the Windows Installer.

Stopped backup exec services and then tried installing nbu client but same behaviour.

Please advice what can I try next.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Are you trying to install the 32bit or 64 bit version of the Netbackup client ?

Also ensure you run the installation on a account with enough access permission.

NB_7.6.1.1.winnt.x86.exe provides fixes for NetBackup 7.6.1 on 32-bit Windows  client.
www.veritas.com/docs/000024195

NB_7.6.1.1.winnt.x64.exe provides fixes for NetBackup (tm) 7.6.1 on x64 Windows server and clients.
www.veritas.com/docs/000024194

I am trying to install the 64-bit client

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I have seen NBU client software installation rolling back bacause of BE software.

Are you aware that W2003 and NBU 7.6.x have run out of support from Microsoft and Veritas?

Yes Marianne,

Windows 2003 and 7.6.1 are out of support.

There are plans to upgrade the Win 2003 to Windows 2008 but not soon. In the meantime I am given this task of backing up this Windows 2003 server using Netbackup. So the only version that I can use to backup this Windows 2003 box is by installing 7.6.1 .

Is there any way to install NBU client on this box without uninstalling BE ?

johnb60044
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Its problematic at best.  They share libraries. have you tried disabling AV, BE services and running the install with full rights to the file system and registry?