Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing NBU 7.1.0.4 to Suse 11.2 Media Server

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

We installed a new media server which is Suse 11.2. Support for Suse 11.2 starts with NBU 7.1.0.4. But there is no support for NBU 7.1. So how can I directly install NBU 7.1.0.4 , because I can not install NBU 7.1 to Suse 11.2.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184987

Using NetBackup 7.1 with Linux Kernel 3.0

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6

7.1.0.4 contains fixes only - you will need base install media first.

NB_7.1.0.4.linuxS_x86.tar provides fixes for NetBackup 7.1 master and media servers on x64 SuSELinux Enterprise.  
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH181136

The download page says the following:  

This Maintenance Release requires NetBackup 7.1 or higher be installed before applying.

Have you tried to install 7.1, followed by 7.1.0.4? If so, what was the result?

watsons
Level 6

"No support" does not mean you can't install NB7.1 on it, just install the base software 7.1 first, then patch to 7.1.0.4  to get it supported.

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

OK. but Suse 11.2 uses kernel 3.0. NBU 7.1 can only be installed to kernel 2.6 operating systems.

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Installing Suse 11 SP1 is not possible. Because our server is Dell R720 and it does not support Suse 11 SP1. Support starts with Suse 11 SP2.

Marianne
Level 6

Or upgrade environment to 7.5!

Marianne
Level 6

See this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184987

Using NetBackup 7.1 with Linux Kernel 3.0

Anonymous
Not applicable

An option?

Install SUSE 11 SP1 (kernel 2.6)
Install NetBackup 7.1 + 7.1.0.4 

Upgrade to SUSE 11 SP2

OR dont upgrade!

From release notes

4.1. Applications Not Recognizing Linux Kernel 3.0 as Valid

With SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP2 we introduce Linux Kernel 3.0. This kernel is a direct successor of the Linux kernel 2.6 series, thus all applications run without change. However, some applications or installation programs are broken and may check for version "2.6" literally, thus failing to accept the compatibility of our kernel.

We provide two mechanisms to encourage applications to recognize the kernel 3.0 in SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP2 as a Linux kernel 2.6 compatible system:

Use the uname26 command line tool, to start a single application in a 2.6 context. Usage is as easy as typing uname26 [PROGRAM] . More information can be found in the manpage of "setarch".

Some database systems and enterprise business applications expect processes and tasks run under a specific user name (not root). The Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM) stack in SUSE Linux Enterprise allows to put a user into a 2.6 context. To achieve this, please add the username to the file /etc/security/uname26.conf . For more information, see the manpage for "pam_unix2". Caveat: We do not support the "root" user to run in a 2.6 context.

If you are running SAP applications, have a look at SAP Note #1310037 for more information on running SAP applications within a Kernel 2.6 compatibility environment.

Known Issues

The current version of the LSI MegaCLI utility needs to be run with the uname26 personality using the "uname26" tool.

The current version of the IBM Online SAS/SATA Hard Disk Drive Update Program needs to be run with a uname26 personality.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good find Marianne. I thought I saw that recently and caught my eye.
See my post earlier with excerpt from the SLES 11 SP2 release notes. That discusses this exact tool. uname26

evo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

That is great. Thank you.