cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Netbackup 7.5 VMware agent on an ESXi Host with Linux as the Operating System

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I need some assistance with installing the NBU client on an ESXi Server that runs Linux as the OS. There are a mixture of Windows and Linux operating systems both 32 and 64 bit that run within the ESXi Host. Only recently I was aware that NBU does not support the installation of NBU 7.5 on a Linux 32 bit server. My concern here is if it is possible to install the NBU 7.5 VMware agent on only the ESXi host and still be able to back up all the virtual machines without deploying the agent to each one. I would like to be able to select all the virtual machines to backup whether it is Windows/Linux and 32 bit/64bit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU for VMware can backup all Linux and Windows VM guests.

You can read up in NBU for VMware Agent Guide about the SYMCquiesce utility for Linux VMs.

Read through Requirements for the SYMCquiesce utility section.

Inform sysadmins about supported OS'es for SYMCquiesce: 

■ Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 5.4 and later.
■ SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Update 1 and later.

Anything other than that will be 'best effort' with the following warning to sysadmins:

Without this utility, NetBackup cannot guarantee that all required data has been
flushed to disk when the snapshot occurs. Any data that has not been flushed to
disk (still in memory) is not included in a snapshot. In that case, the data that is
captured in the snapshot is incomplete.

Point out to sysadmins that it is in their best interest to create supported VMs only.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne

NBU for VMware can backup all Linux and Windows VM guests.

You can read up in NBU for VMware Agent Guide about the SYMCquiesce utility for Linux VMs.

Read through Requirements for the SYMCquiesce utility section.

Inform sysadmins about supported OS'es for SYMCquiesce: 

■ Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 5.4 and later.
■ SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Update 1 and later.

Anything other than that will be 'best effort' with the following warning to sysadmins:

Without this utility, NetBackup cannot guarantee that all required data has been
flushed to disk when the snapshot occurs. Any data that has not been flushed to
disk (still in memory) is not included in a snapshot. In that case, the data that is
captured in the snapshot is incomplete.

Point out to sysadmins that it is in their best interest to create supported VMs only.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I believe below is your requirement

Deploying Agent on ESXi to protect All the Guest VM that should be agentless

=>SF= Would recommend you to go through Abdul's blog series on VMware protection. Also You Do not need to Deploy Agent on ESXi Instead simply configure ESXi credentials under NBU, Add NBU Master/Media Server as backup host (vCenter/vSphere are preferred with Datastore zoned for SAN backup)

You only need to deploy agent on Guest VM on below scenarios

Restore files to original location/guest

Leverage GRT benefit along with App Aware protection to Exchange/SharePoint and SQL (with log truncation possibility over VMDK protection)

Feel free to revert in case of any clarification

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Does the ESXi host require a reboot after the NBU Client is installed on it?

Marianne
NO software gets installed on the ESX/ESXi host. Please take some time to read through NBU for VM guide? Even if you only read through introduction and initial config pages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The blog I think @speedfreak refers to:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-vmware-backup-over-san

Has links to other good docs. I suggest you read, as this will help you understand how to backup VM's.