Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Netbackup Client 7.6.1.2 on Linux/Unix

wuquillas
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I have a question about the user that I need to use to start installation of my client Netbackup.

Always have I to login as root?

It is possible that I can use other user with the same permissions for example: I created one user "usrbkp" to execute my Netbackup tasks(backup, restore) on one client, but Icannot install the agent because Appear one error "./install must be run while logged in as root".

I verified that the user "usrbkp" has root permissions and all it is correct.

There are some technical note about my question? I need it to tell my customer

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You were asking for documentation:

Look at the 1st point under 'General requirements' in NetBackup Installation Guide   
and again a couple of times in 'Installing client software ...' section. 

NetBackup installs software by default in /usr  - only root has write permission by default.

NetBackup uses OS software installation tools (e.g. rpm on Linux and pkg... on Solaris). These are 'root-only' commands. 

PS: 
Please note that 7.6.x will reach EOSL within the next 4-5 months. 
Time to schedule upgrade to 7.7.x!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Not a TN. NBU Installation Guide.
Links to documentation in Handy NBU Links in my signature.

Root requirement is actually an OS requirement for software installation.

sclind
   VIP   

Out of curioisty - when you say 'has root permissions' you mean the UID is zero?

Once I was installing client using "sudo" and the installation was failing due to some PATH variables was not exported. Missing PATH variables for the sudo failing to locate OS commands, perhaps the installation was failing.

I wouldnt say that do not use root equivalent user but make sure it is literal equivalent.

Hope it helps.

Yes, It is correct 

So, I should use "sudo" to install my agent because sudo is the same to execute my installation as root

why should I use root to install the agent? which is the objetive?

Mike_Gavrilov

These are rhetorical questions and we can ask millions of them regarding every product. You have the guide that says that it should be like this. End of story. 

Marianne
Level 6

You were asking for documentation:

Look at the 1st point under 'General requirements' in NetBackup Installation Guide   
and again a couple of times in 'Installing client software ...' section. 

NetBackup installs software by default in /usr  - only root has write permission by default.

NetBackup uses OS software installation tools (e.g. rpm on Linux and pkg... on Solaris). These are 'root-only' commands. 

PS: 
Please note that 7.6.x will reach EOSL within the next 4-5 months. 
Time to schedule upgrade to 7.7.x!