Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Netbackup Master server using a differenet hostname

MohdAlim
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

We are installing a new master on a server with a physical machinename/hostname A. Can we not use a different name to set up the master other than the hostname?

Is there an option for this during the installation?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
@MohdAlim

Yes you can do that but I would not recommend anyone doing this.

Many more problem may arise as NBU backups over network purely works on name resolution, either DNS or Hosts file

If you have NBU master server name other than machine hostname then you will end up in creating two DNS / Hosts file entries for the same server.

Also for backups to complete successfully client-to-server and server-to-client name resolution should work properly, both forward and reverse i.e. hostname-to-IP_Address and IP_Address-to-Hostname

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
@MohdAlim

Yes you can do that but I would not recommend anyone doing this.

Many more problem may arise as NBU backups over network purely works on name resolution, either DNS or Hosts file

If you have NBU master server name other than machine hostname then you will end up in creating two DNS / Hosts file entries for the same server.

Also for backups to complete successfully client-to-server and server-to-client name resolution should work properly, both forward and reverse i.e. hostname-to-IP_Address and IP_Address-to-Hostname

MohdAlim
Level 5
Partner
Thanks.