Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a HP MSL G3 tape library on an IBM AIX6.1 server

alainken3
Level 4

Hi,

Good day! 

I've been trying to install an HP MSL G3 tape library on an IBM AIX6.1 server.

After successful zoning, and quick refresh of devices, I can already see the drives but not the robot even on the OS side. Is there any particular driver that i need to install for it to run on AIX? What else might I have missed?

Netbackup is only seeing the drives as well.

I have an IBM tape library installed earlier, and it works fine.

Master Server: 7.1.0.4

Media Server:  7.1

TAP3BCV:root[/]lsdev -Cc tape
rmt0 Available 00-08-00 SAS 4mm Tape Drive
rmt1 Available 04-00-01 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive
rmt2 Available 04-00-01 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive
rmt3 Available 04-00-01 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive
rmt4 Available 04-00-01 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive
rmt5 Available 04-01-01 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive
rmt6 Available 04-01-01 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive
smc0 Available 04-00-01 IBM 3576 Library Medium Changer (FCP)
smc1 Defined   05-00-01 IBM 3576 Library Medium Changer (FCP)
TAP3BCV:root[/]lsdev |grep scsi
fscsi0       Available 04-00-01    FC SCSI I/O Controller Protocol Device
fscsi1       Available 04-01-01    FC SCSI I/O Controller Protocol Device
fscsi2       Available 05-00-01    FC SCSI I/O Controller Protocol Device
fscsi3       Available 05-01-01    FC SCSI I/O Controller Protocol Device
iscsi0       Available             iSCSI Protocol Device

Thanks! 

- alain

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will find a procedure in the Device Config Guide to create ovpass driver/device for the robot - BUT Veritas no longer supports this driver. Please see the HCL: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000040791 

Veritas recommends that a non-IBM tape library be connected to another supported media server (e.g. Windows or Linux).

Extract from the HCL:

3. NetBackup has been supporting non-IBM tape libraries (robotics) with an IBM AIX robotic control host using the "ovpass" driver for many years. Changes and new functionality in AIX 6.1 and 7.1 have resulted in some issues with ovpass and an inability to support new functionality such as dynamic tracking and controlling SAS robots. Therefore, beginning with NetBackup 7.5, Veritas is no longer supporting the ovpass driver. Existing customers may continue to use ovpass as they are today, but if issues are encountered Veritas will not be able to resolve them. Some VTLs have been tested with an emulated physical library inquiry string that is listed along with the device's unique VTL inquiry string. Veritas recommends configuring your VTL using this alternate library inquiry string, or using another OS platform as the robotic control host.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne

You will find a procedure in the Device Config Guide to create ovpass driver/device for the robot - BUT Veritas no longer supports this driver. Please see the HCL: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000040791 

Veritas recommends that a non-IBM tape library be connected to another supported media server (e.g. Windows or Linux).

Extract from the HCL:

3. NetBackup has been supporting non-IBM tape libraries (robotics) with an IBM AIX robotic control host using the "ovpass" driver for many years. Changes and new functionality in AIX 6.1 and 7.1 have resulted in some issues with ovpass and an inability to support new functionality such as dynamic tracking and controlling SAS robots. Therefore, beginning with NetBackup 7.5, Veritas is no longer supporting the ovpass driver. Existing customers may continue to use ovpass as they are today, but if issues are encountered Veritas will not be able to resolve them. Some VTLs have been tested with an emulated physical library inquiry string that is listed along with the device's unique VTL inquiry string. Veritas recommends configuring your VTL using this alternate library inquiry string, or using another OS platform as the robotic control host.

Marianne

Thanks for your reply Marriane.

I'll just try to create a new zoning for this library to a HPUX machine.

Hopefully it would work. :)