cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing client in non-global zone

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

I have a question that I don't think has been previously covered (that I could find).  We have a server with the backup client software installed that is now hosting a sparse root local zone.  They share the /usr file system, OS is Solaris 10.  I've looked over TN 162994 & 187856, as well as 65627.  I guess I'm confused as to the reference to creating links for paths that already exist in the global zone.  The instructions seem to be written as if the client software would be installed in the local zone only.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_dalton
Level 6

Another possiblity is to backup the zones from the global...never tried with sparse - never even read about it as we have whole root zones - but it certainly works for whole root zones.

To clarify, we have / and thats our global zone root, with netb installed in /usr.

Then we have a zpool(s) / fss mounted lets say in /myzones/zoneA,zoneB etc so we just backup everything in /myzones.

If it wont work for sparse then I guess I will have learned something! Jim

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Yes the tech notes are confusing as hell. 65627, which can be found in its entirety in 162994, basically leaves out a very important step. That is the install in the global zone of the client. I do not believe it also takes into account multiple local zones.

That being said the reference to the symbolic kinks applies to the first step prior to the installation of the client even on the global zone. So if you want to install the client on the global zone and the local zones you need to create the link as step one then install the client. This location needs to be read-writable by all zones (global and local) in a sparse set up.

I do not know why anyone would assume that the global may not need to be backed up but I guess it happens. Now the part I have not discerned is how you manage the individual bp.conf files you will need since that sits in the /usr/openv/netbackup directory and would be overwritten by each subsequent installation. It is possible that in installing in a sparse zone the script recognizes that it is sparse and sets things up accordingly. I do not know as I have installed in whole root only. 

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Not sure, but I think they want you to create a separate path for each install/zone and then link it to /usr/openv for that local zone.  My question is, what to do when the client is already installed?  My global zone server already has the Netbackup client installed.  Do I have to uninstall the client from the global zone, create links, then reinstall the software?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I may be wrong, but from what I see in TECH162994 is that it only needs /usr/openv to exist in the global zone - with or without NBU software. 
It seems that this TN takes into consideration that NBU master or media server software may be installed in the global zone. 

Perhaps log a Support call to ask for clarification on the TN.
Remember to also use the 'Rate this Article' link on the right of each TN.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

In the global zone does /usr/openv exist and is it a symbolic link or is it an actual directory? (ls -l /usr/openv) It is my understanding that the pkgadd command installed the client to /opt and made a symbolic link to /usr/openv

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Odd, I didn't get any notifications that there were comments.  Andrew, in the global zone, /usr/openv is an actual directory, not a link.  Marianne, /usr is shared between the global and local zone, so if I log on to the local zone, go to /usr/openv, I see the global zone listed in bp.conf as the client.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Another possiblity is to backup the zones from the global...never tried with sparse - never even read about it as we have whole root zones - but it certainly works for whole root zones.

To clarify, we have / and thats our global zone root, with netb installed in /usr.

Then we have a zpool(s) / fss mounted lets say in /myzones/zoneA,zoneB etc so we just backup everything in /myzones.

If it wont work for sparse then I guess I will have learned something! Jim

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Let's start at the beginning. I think we are getting too scattered here.

First from the local zone can you write to /usr/openv? If it is a loop back like all the TECH notes are indicating then you should not be able to.

If it is can you see if there is a /opt/openv? Please paste the output of ls -la /opt/openv and ls -la /usr/openv. We need to see where the documentation varies from reality.

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

There is only one file system that needs to be backed up, so we are going to try Jim's suggestion of just mounting it under the global zone client.   I'll let you know if that works.  Thanks for the input.  Have a great weekend!