cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing netbackup client without binaries

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

We have a disaster recovery site a few states away that recently had 2 servers rebuilt (linux redhat 2.6).  I've been tasked with getting the backups going on them.

I've attempted to install the clients from the GUI, but the binaries aren't available.

I think it should be possible to copy the software over from another server and then modify the config files. -but I'm not having any luck getting the services running on the 'new' server.

Is what I'm attempting a good idea?  Have any of y'all done something like this before?  Can you give me any advice?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

You can try this trick too.

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/local-client-installation#comment-11509521

what we've done is copy directory contents to the client

/usr/openv/netbackup/client/<ClientOS>

then run this on the client

cd /usr/openv/netbackup/client/<ClientOS>

./cp_to_client  <MASTERNAME> <CLIENTNAME>

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Depends upon the version of NetBackup Client, and which version of OS you are copying from and to.

This is one those tasks that always used to work in the SunOS and NetBackup 3.4 days... but is getting less and less likely to work with each new version of OS and each new version of NetBackup.

You might be able to get it work with a bit, or a lot, more effort.

What version of NetBackup Client, and OS version, are you trying to get working?

RainerFaulstich
Level 3
Partner Accredited

You can do a remote install.

What version of NetBackup Master?

You can remote install Linux client from Linux Master Server using <install_client_files> command.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_client_files ssh client_name

## DOCUMENTATION ##

NetBackup 7.6 Installation Guide
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000003707

About remote installation methods for UNIX/Linux clients (page 105)

You can push the client software from a UNIX/Linux master server to a client host by using the following methods:

• rsh (See “Installing client software with the rsh method” on page 106)
  • ftp (See “Installing client software with the ftp method” on page 107)
  • ssh (See “Installing client software with the ssh method” on page 108)
  • sftp (See “Installing client software with the sftp method” on page 109)

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Installation Guide for UNIX and Linux
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000003066

About remote installation methods for UNIX clients (page 133)

You can push the client software from a UNIX master server to a client host by using the following methods:

• rsh (See “Installing client software with the rsh method” on page 134)
  • ftp (See “Installing client software with the ftp method” on page 137)
  • ssh (See “Installing client software with the ssh method” on page 139)
  • sftp (See “Installing client software with the sftp method” on page 13)

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

I'm going to keep looking at this, but the binaries aren't available on the server.  Not sure why.  I'd love to have them there.  

Is there a way to pull them back from a client?

When I try the sudo ./install_client_files ssh <client name> I get:

Cannot install client <client name> - binaries are not on the server
for hardware type 'Linux' and operating system 'RedHat2.6'

This particular facility has version 7.0 of the administration console - does that answer your question about Netbackup Master's version number?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Haven't tried it recently but you can create a tar file on a working client

tar cvf /tmp/client.tar /usr/openv/netbackup/client

copy that tar file over to the master and extract in /tmp  (to prevent clobbering what is already on the master)

then copy the missing files to client subdirectory on the master

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Maybe the old installation binaries exist in a backup from the past?   i.e. you may have a copy lurking on a tape somewhere?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
A master will by default have client binaries for its own OS family. If the master is for example Solaris, it will not have Linux binaries. Have a look on the master server under /usr/openv/netbackup/client. Which folders do you see? And in subfolders under those? No use trying when the client binaries are not on the master. Next thing to check on the clients is the actual Linux version. Look in /etc for *release. If the client binaries are not on the master, you will need to download from FileConnect using the M* serial number on your license key certificate.

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

Thanks for the support!

This particular netbackup install is is several states away and I'm still very new, so I'm still figuring things out.  The master is running on Solaris and the Solaris binaries are there. I wasn't aware of this until I just checked.  No idea where my predesessors left the red hat binaries out there.

I did find them on my local system. I am in the process of transferring the red hat binaries to the site - it is going to take the rest of the day.  Once they are there, I should be able to unpack the linux binaries in the appropriate folders under /usr/openv/netbackup/client and install the clients, either using the GUI or install_client_files.

I'll update the ticket with the results.

Marianne
Please read through the steps in the Installation Guide about installing client binaries on a master server. Look for this topic : Adding a UNIX/Linux client after initial server installation

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

The install of the binaries seemed to go fine - but I'm running into an issue on my side.  Our networks are locked down pretty tight. When I use the GUI and attempt to install the client - I get a connection timed out error.  Is it documenated anywhere what resources the installer uses? So that I can get the network boys to temporarily open a path through the firewalls?

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

I mean besides 13724 and 1556 of course

Marianne
The GUI only uses rsh which is a problem in most environments. The Installation Guide lists 3 other options that can be used from cmd: - ssh - ftp - sftp Oh! And by installing directly on the client. Work with site admins to find a method that will work in this environment. ***Edit *** You will notice that OS utilities are needed for initial client push. The NBU ports are used for backups, restores and subsequent patch installs and upgrades. These OS utilities (rsh, ssh, ftp, sftp) may require configuration before it will work. Test the utilities at OS level before trying push install.

Will_Restore
Level 6

You can try this trick too.

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/local-client-installation#comment-11509521

what we've done is copy directory contents to the client

/usr/openv/netbackup/client/<ClientOS>

then run this on the client

cd /usr/openv/netbackup/client/<ClientOS>

./cp_to_client  <MASTERNAME> <CLIENTNAME>

sclind
   VIP   

I have had situations where we had a client with an old OS (I think HPUX 11.11) that at the time had its binaries available on the master server (perhaps NB 7.1).

Then as time marched on and we upgraded the level of NB on the master server a few times the client binaries for old OS'es were eventually dropped from NB.  So when a new client popped up with an old OS (from an acquisition) we'd have to grab the binaries from another client and bring them over.  Maybe this is your situation?

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

Will - I may give that a try.

But the issue I opened the ticket for is moot.  After much searching I found where my predesessor stored the binaries.  I'm still having issues, but I thougt it would be 'cleaner' to track them here: https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/linux-71-client-and-netbackup-70-server