cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant Recovery

AndriiPushkarov
Level 4

Hi all, 

Instant Recovery requires the use of local datastorage: nbrestorevm -vmw -C i0crits02 -vmpo -ir_activate -temp_location ...

In our VMware vCenter, local data storages are not used (not mounted).

Can I use the production datastorage_x for temp_location?

Will other virtual machines be safe in production datastorage_x?

Andrii

6 REPLIES 6

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

documentation of nbrestorevm command does not mention which kind of datastore must be used for temp_location. So this can be both local and shared datastore.

Safety of other VMs on the same datastore is a question rather for VMware, I think that we can compare it with a new VM creation or any write activity on the datastore.

Regards

Michal

AndriiPushkarov
Level 4

Please see attachment.
Veritas recommends local datastore.
Is it possible to use not local, but production datastore?

I have done tests in local datastore and the one that is mounted from an HP storage, there is no problem, the instant recovery works in the same way and only takes a few seconds, what you have to notice is that you have to make a vmotion so that the machine is in its final datastore remember that the mount point does Netbackup "on the fly" ...

Did other servers work during your testing with HP storage?
Does your test confirm that using HP storage as -temp_location is safe for other servers simultaneously working with it?

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I have reviewed your attachment and NBU documentation and yes, it mentions a term "local". But in my view it is only for a stronger emphasis that it cannot be the "NFS" datastore (see Step 1) from where a backed up VM is presented. I would not call it "recommendation" for using local disks of ESX server. (And if any recommendation is here, it must come from VMware, not Veritas.)

Try to consult it with a VMware admin/forum as this question: "when snapshot logs of a VM machine are on a different datastore than a snapped VM, must this datastore be on a local disks of an ESX server"? I guess that answer will be NO.

regards

Michal

- All tests worked without problems with more than 10 servers

- There are no problems whenever you spend enough space, there are no performance problems with the servers already hosted in that datastore