cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent Oracle Policies - Status 58

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

I have a weird issue where half of the streams on an intelligent Oracle policy fail with status 58 but half will complete successfully.

If I set 12 streams 6 will run, 6 will fail. If I set 6 streams 3 will run 3 will fail. Anyone seen this kind of activity before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

nslookup is returning 2 names to the IP address. I am thinking it may well be something to do with that. Looking to get that resolved first.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Does the failing streams have the correct client name ?

Without more information, my best suggestion is to go thorugh the steps in posts below:

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/general-connectivity-troubleshooting-status-23242558-often-...

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/general-database-backup-error-troubleshooting

If you havn't already. The database one hasn't been updated for OIP, but is still valid except for the manually running the script.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

All connectivity tests passed. As some streams work I didn't think it would be connectivity.

6 streams start writing immediately after about 30 seconds 6 streams will immediately go to status 58. So it's not a timeout issue.

Failed streams have an unable to write progress log messages

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
How many NICs/IP addresses on the client? Is each IP address bound to unique hostname? This sounds like client with multiple NICs on same subnet an client doing round-robin for source IP address.

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

That was my thinking as there is 50% success. Two interfaces on the client and they both have an seperate entry in the hosts file. Solaris 10 client btw.

RiaanBadenhorst

Tbis isn't a RAC is it?

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

No. single server.

RiaanBadenhorst

Do you have the required network interface set on the client? It has 2, but you don't want to give a choice on which one to use. Same thing from the master, 1 client, 1 name, 1 ip address.

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

Master server has only 1 interface.

On the client I have set the preferred network as:

PREFERRED_NETWORK = 0/0 ONLY "Client Interface IP"

but no joy. The host routing table indicates that backup traffic would go through the interface I want anyway.

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

I've successfully run flat file backups with multiple streams however.

Marianne

You will need logs to troubleshoot.

I know that OIP use additional logs - best to look them up in NBU for Oracle manual.

dbclient (777 permissions) on the clientshould be a good start along with these server logs:
Master: bprd (NBU must be restarted when this folder is first created)
Media server: bpbrm

A work-around would be create old-fashioned script on the client and initiate it from Oracle policy.
If that works fine, go back to OIP and troubleshoot using logs...

vjuhola
Level 4
Partner

Could you post the RMAN output?

Have you seen this? https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000024473

" During backup and restore operations, Oracle RMAN makes repeated calls to the System Backup Tape (SBT) API.  Typically, there is minimal delay between the API calls.  However, when using large data files, especially in bigfile tablespaces, the delays may be lengthy in some Oracle configurations.  Lengthy delays make it difficult for NetBackup to know if Oracle is hung versus just delayed.  If the delay is excessively long, then NetBackup will fail the job. "

Also sbttest is a very useful utility for troubleshooting API issues. http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_rman_111_sbttest.htm

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

Not an expert in RMAN but this is in the script that he policy creates:

INCREMENTAL LEVEL=0 PROXY

so I believe it is a proxy backup.

vjuhola
Level 4
Partner

Have you tried an old fashioned script as per Marianne's suggestion?

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

Yeah, we currently run a workaround solution where an RMAN script dumps the backup to a share and this is then backed up as a flat file so I know that RMAN works. The intelligent policies are meant to replace that work around. This is the only server that is causing an issue at the moment. 7 other servers have successfully migrated and they are basically the same virtual Solaris server configuration.

Kevin_Barnes
Level 3
Partner

nslookup is returning 2 names to the IP address. I am thinking it may well be something to do with that. Looking to get that resolved first.

Marianne
Pretty much what I thought initially....