cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Drive Index when trying to delete drive

chriswilkes33
Level 3

I am running Netbackup 10.1.1 on a RedHat 8 server. I recently did a catalog restore recovering from a hardware failure and I am having trouble connecting to two of our drives in a robot. There are still ghosts of the drive path, though the robot has been deleted. Each time I try to delete the drive I get a message saying Invalid Drive Index and asking me to restart the media manager. Restarts of the host and netbackup services have had no change.

What does Invalid Drive Index mean and why can't I delete this device regardless of what netbackup thinks an index is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Suspect there is some 'confusion' in NBDB - without an unload it's only going to be a guess.
Delete everything (this shouldn't care about any issues, it's like hitting it with a hammer)

nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -allrecords

Then re-configre.

The only other way is manual SQL on NBDB, this needs Engineering and they will first request to use the above command anyway.  It deletes all devices (robots and tapes) so in some circumstances you would avoid it due to the amount of devices to reconfigure.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Suspect there is some 'confusion' in NBDB - without an unload it's only going to be a guess.
Delete everything (this shouldn't care about any issues, it's like hitting it with a hammer)

nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -allrecords

Then re-configre.

The only other way is manual SQL on NBDB, this needs Engineering and they will first request to use the above command anyway.  It deletes all devices (robots and tapes) so in some circumstances you would avoid it due to the amount of devices to reconfigure.

Alexis_Jeldrez
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just delete all drives and robots and regenerate them with the wizard. If you had a hardware failure then there's a big chance they don't have the same path anyway. Just make sure you can see drives and robots with "cat /proc/scsi/scsi".

Appreciate the help. This did get me through whatever issue was keeping those drives stuck in that DB. Kind of frustrating to have to rebuild all of the magnetic drives across our small army of tape robots but it was successful. Thank you for the suggestion.