cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Request trying to restore from Client

Greg_Pagan
Level 4
I have NBU 6.0 MP4 on a Windows 2003 SP4 standard edition server configured as a master server with no media servers.  My client is a Windows 2003 SP4 Advanced Server that has the NBU Client 6.0 MP4 installed.

When I first tried to do a restore from the client, I was receiving a "Client is not Validated to perform the requested operation" error.  I got past this error by create an ALTNAMES directory with a no.restrictions file in the proper place on the master server.  Now however, when I try to do a restore from the client I get an "Invalid Request" error when I try to read the files that are stored on the server.  This error has proved harder to figure out.

I did the restore from the server so the client request has been satisfied but I am still trying to understand why I could not do the restore from the client as a pull rather than the push restore I did.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can look for resolution to this error?

Thanks

Greg
7 REPLIES 7

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Check for the client name you have specified in client configuration. Is your client is clustered?

Greg_Pagan
Level 4
Rakesh,

Thanks for the reply.  My client is not clustered nor for that matter is my master server.  

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "check for the client name you have specified in the client configuration"?  My client server is listed on the master server as a client.  Is there someplace else I need to list the client in order to be able to retore files from the client?

Thanks

Greg Pagan

Dean_Norman
Level 2
Employee Accredited
Take a look at this link, may be of some help:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/234166.htm

Greg_Pagan
Level 4
Dean,

Thank you very much for the link.  It pointed me in the correct direction.  I had the correct settings for allow client browse and allow client restore.  What I ended up doing to correct the problem was remove the clients from the list.  Once the clients were removed and I restarted the Netbackup client service, I was able to browse the master server from the client to pick files for restoration.

Thanks again.

Greg

Stumpr2
Level 6
Do you have a small Netbackup environment? I was wondering why you would want to pull vs push the restore.

Greg_Pagan
Level 4
Bob

I would consider our environment small, 1 master server and 16 client servers.  The clients have about 6 TB of data spread out amongst them, most of it either allocated to file servers or SQLServer storage.

The reason for the pull rather than push has more to do with convenience, than anything else.  It happens for us to be easier to log onto the server in question and initiate the restore.  No other reason for the behavior.

Greg

Stumpr2
Level 6
Greg,

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply.

Bob