cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory fails. media id not unique database.

kenchan1
Level 3

HI ALL.

When I insert TAPE AHX304L8 and Inventory update. I got this error in Netbackup Administration Console:

Inventory failed: media ID not unique in database (34)

netbackup3.png
Before this error:
In my NetBackup >Media ID AHX304 was matched TAPE( barcode: AHX304L8 ) .
When i ejected the TAPE( barcode: AHX304L8 ) and inserted new TAPE( barcode: AHX340L8 ) and Inventory robot / update volume configuration. Netbackup can not created new Media ID like AHX340.
The Media ID: AHX304 matched new TAPE( barcode: AHX340L8 )

In my question:
1. How can i get back Media ID AHX304 match back TAPE( barcode: AHX304L8 ) ?
2. How can i insert  TAPE AHX340L8 again can be create new Media ID: AHX340 ?

Thank you for your help.

Remarks:
The AHX304L8 has images. 
Netbackup version:8.1.2

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@Marianne 

Thank you for your solution.

You need to confirm that the tape that contains the images (media ID AHX304) has the physical label that matches it: AHX304L8.

In Netbackup Console "Catalog". I can verify media ID: AHX304 and search images when the Tape AHX304L8 had been inserted.

If you are 100% sure that media ID AHX304 has the correct external label of AHX304L8, you can update the barcode in NBU config with this command:
vmchange -m AHX304 -barcode AHX304L8.

Install path: D:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>

Yes, i am sure. I ran these commands :

D:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>vmchange -m AHX304 -barcode AHX304L8  in the command prompt as administrator. The result as below:

'vmchange' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Is it run at wrong path ?

View solution in original post

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, wrong path - /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

NBU uses 6 characters to create media ID. Looks like in your env there was differnet media ID generation rule than it is currently - so you will have to play with this.

What is the outcome from vmquery -a -W |grep HX340

??

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@kenchan1 

Could you please physically examine both tapes?

AHX304L8 and AHX340L8. Do they perhaps have the same external barcode label AHX340L8?

According to the screenshots, a tape with barcode AHX304L8 was added to the library, NOT AHX340L8.

As per the highlighted section in your screenshot, it seems that a tape with barcode AHX340L8 was at some point added to NBU with media id AHX304. This seems weird. I have never seen NBU doing this unless there was a Media ID Generation Rule that caused this.

You need to confirm that the tape that contains the images (media ID AHX304) has the physical label that matches it: AHX304L8.
If you are 100% sure that media ID AHX304 has the correct external label of AHX304L8, you can update the barcode in NBU config with this command:

Then double-check that the new tape that you insert has a the correct label of AHX340L8.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you are getting a duplicate media ID when you add the tape, then the barcode of the tape you are adding is such that the first 6 characters of the barcode are the same as the 'original'

AHX304  AHX304L8. (original)

New tape must have barcode AHX304xx, as this is giving rise to a mediaID that is the same as an existing mediaID.

If it had barcode 'AHX340L8' then the mediaID would be AHX340 as that is first 6 characters of the barcode.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100048567

@Marianne 

Thank you for your solution.

In Netbackup Console "Catalog". I can verify media ID: AHX304 and search images when the Tape AHX304L8 had been inserted.

Install path: D:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>

Yes, i am sure. I ran these commands :

D:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>vmchange -m AHX304 -barcode AHX304L8  in the command prompt as administrator. The result as below:

'vmchange' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Is it run at wrong path ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, wrong path - /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange

@Marianne @mph999 

Thanks all.

The command is useful. The problems fixed.