cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is AIR from Appliance 2.5.3 to Appliance 2.7.2 supported?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Primary appliance:  5220 v2.5.3 (NBU v.7.5.0.6), 34TB, performs backups, replications to secondary, duplications to tape.

Secondary appliance:  5220 v2.5.3 (NBU v7.5.0.6), 34TB, only receives replications, does not perform backups or duplications to tape.

The secondary has issues (too long a story).

If I re-image the secondary appliance as a new v2.7.2 (NBU v7.7.2) install, will it be supported to receive AIR replications from Appliance v2.5.3 (NBU v7.5.0.6) ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

I have tested before that AIR between 7.5.0.x and 7.6.0.x  works both directions, but I do not recommend this - at least not for a long period of time.

The MSDP structures and the way it processes through the queue (including doing compaction, CRC check and garbage collection) has changed quite a lot between 2.5.x & 2.7.x , these low-level changes may not affect your AIR replications but in the long run, bugs or known issues that exist in 2.5.x (or 2.6.x) may still affect your replicated data and you could end up not able to recover them for replicated site.

I understand you need to upgrade to 2.7.x for secondary due to the main issue, which is fine. Once you've done that, upgrade primary one to 2.7.x as soon as possible to avoid further issues.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

watsons
Level 6

I have tested before that AIR between 7.5.0.x and 7.6.0.x  works both directions, but I do not recommend this - at least not for a long period of time.

The MSDP structures and the way it processes through the queue (including doing compaction, CRC check and garbage collection) has changed quite a lot between 2.5.x & 2.7.x , these low-level changes may not affect your AIR replications but in the long run, bugs or known issues that exist in 2.5.x (or 2.6.x) may still affect your replicated data and you could end up not able to recover them for replicated site.

I understand you need to upgrade to 2.7.x for secondary due to the main issue, which is fine. Once you've done that, upgrade primary one to 2.7.x as soon as possible to avoid further issues.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes, the plan is to have the primary master/media only on 2.5.3/7.5.0.6 for a week, before it is then upgraded to 2.7.2/7.7.2.

Has anyone else actually done master/media 2.5.3/7.5.0.6... via AIR to... master/media 2.7.2/7.7.2 ?