cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is BMR possible without a boot server

marr_andy
Level 2

Hello I'm trying to figure out the BMR product, I have Windows NB7.1 server  with BMR license and I'd like to enable BMR to some Linux clients.

Can I do this without creating a boot server as I already have a boot server on the network for pxe / kickstart. I'd like to insert some kind of boot iso on the clients manually setup the network and get them to contact the BMR server without a pxe dhcp. Is this possible ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

I think your client is rh-linux and master is windows. You need to have RH linux boot server to prepare SRT in order to recover linux client.

bmr bs (os) = bmr client (os)

and

Also in general bmr bs(os version) >= bmr srt (os version) ~= bmr client (os version) // Refer bmr admin guide for os specific details.

Thanks.

Mandar

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Will_Restore
Level 6

you can boot the client off cd/dvd instead of pxe boot

Will_Restore
Level 6

On UNIX and Linux systems, use the bmrsrtadm command to create a bootable

CD/DVD image that contains an SRT. After you create the CD/DVD image, you

must use CD/DVD writing software to burn the image onto a CD/DVD.

This process copies an existing SRT to the CD/DVD media; therefore, an SRT that

supports the client must exist.

(for more information refer to the

Symantec NetBackup™  Bare Metal RestoreAdministrator's Guide)

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

>> Can I do this without creating a boot server as I already have a boot server on the network for pxe / kickstart. I'd like to insert some kind of boot iso on the clients manually setup the network and get them to contact the BMR server without a pxe dhcp. Is this possible ?

[Mandar] One option as suggested above by WR is use NB-BMR media based restore.

But in case you intend to do NW based restore then you need to have NB-BMR boot server deployed. You can not use existing PXE-DHCP server setup.

For NB-BMR boot server, requirement is to setup DHCP server with a sample DHCPD.conf file (BMR admin guide as this format mentioned) and have tftp service enabled. Further configuration is taken care by BMR prepare to restore step to have DHCP entry enabled for only that particular client which needs to be restored. BMR automatically takes care of configuration allocation and deallocation.

Thanks.

Mandar

marr_andy
Level 2

OK thanks, but my Master server and BMR server are on a Windows server. Will  there be  bmrsrtadm    on the windows server ? tttool   

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

I think your client is rh-linux and master is windows. You need to have RH linux boot server to prepare SRT in order to recover linux client.

bmr bs (os) = bmr client (os)

and

Also in general bmr bs(os version) >= bmr srt (os version) ~= bmr client (os version) // Refer bmr admin guide for os specific details.

Thanks.

Mandar

marr_andy
Level 2

OK , to be clear can someone confirm.

I need/ have

Have :  NB server 7.1 windows

Need: Linux BMR boot server to create the SRT and boot iso ? does this need to communicate with the NB 7.1 windows server ?

Have: Linux redhat clients

is it true that I cannot create a BMR boot iso from a windows server ?

Regards

Andy

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

>> is it true that I cannot create a BMR boot iso from a windows server ?

For linux client, srt has to be linux same version and it can not be created from windows server. It needs linux boot server. I have mentioned the rules above.

>> Need: Linux BMR boot server to create the SRT and boot iso ? does this need to communicate with the NB 7.1 windows server ?

Master can be any NB supported platform. Hence above is fine. You need to check rules while creating BMR boot server.

Thanks.

Mandar

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1. For prepare SRT you need linux boot server, but this server is used only for preparing and NetBackup may not use it if you like to restore clients from ISO (without dhcp and bootp). Boot server may be installed on the same server as client. Boot server may be restored as original client and not requires additional boot server (hi is boot server for himself). Version of linux must be the same Red Hat = Red Hat, Suse = Suse.

2. Boot server communicates with master server only in time of creation SRT.

3. You cannot create SRT for linux on Windows.

4. Upgrade NetBackup to 7.5 cause hi started to support Red Hat 6.2 from this version.