cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NOM supported in a non-global Solaris Zone?

peter12
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi:

I want to install Netbackup Operations Manager an Veritas Backup Reporter, but i've been asigned jus one solaris server. I've read that Backup Reporter is NOT supported on a non-global zone, and that both products doesn´t get along, so, can I install NOM on a non-global solaris zone? i've been looking arround and can´t find an answer....

thanks in advance, best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NOM requires Symantec ICS to be installed prior to the installation of NOM itself, however:

5.  Solaris 10 Zone Support: The above support is for base Solaris 10 OS support. NetBackup Server and Enterprise Client Components (master server, media server, SAN media server and SAN client) are supported only in a global zone.  Only the NetBackup Standard Client is supported in non-global zones. 
Veritas Infrastructure Core Services (ICS) are only supported in the global zone.  This includes packages such as the Veritas Authentication service (VxAT) and the Veritas Authorization Service (VxAZ).  Attempts to install these packages in a local zone will fail during the installation

DOCUMENTATION: Additional Information about support for Veritas NetBackup (tm) Server / NetBackup Enterprise Server on Sun Solaris 10 platform.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mouse
NOM requires Symantec ICS to be installed prior to the installation of NOM itself, however:

5.  Solaris 10 Zone Support: The above support is for base Solaris 10 OS support. NetBackup Server and Enterprise Client Components (master server, media server, SAN media server and SAN client) are supported only in a global zone.  Only the NetBackup Standard Client is supported in non-global zones. 
Veritas Infrastructure Core Services (ICS) are only supported in the global zone.  This includes packages such as the Veritas Authentication service (VxAT) and the Veritas Authorization Service (VxAZ).  Attempts to install these packages in a local zone will fail during the installation

DOCUMENTATION: Additional Information about support for Veritas NetBackup (tm) Server / NetBackup Enterprise Server on Sun Solaris 10 platform.

Marianne
Seems it is now possible by manually installing ICS packages in the local zone:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315561.htm
Extract:
The ICS Installer will not allow installation of any package on a local zone.  Therefore, all the packages will have to be installed manually (in order):

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Its probably possible, but like Mouse stated, probably not supported, or recommended by Symantec.  Even if NOM could be installed on a local zone, there would still be uncertainty of applying maintenance patches, and updating NOM on a local zone.  It would be great if NOM was supported on a local zone.

Marianne
Seems it IS supported:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/312604.pdf