cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is is possible to control the CPU usage of bptm process?

Gonz
Level 5
Employee

Scenario:

NB 7.5.0.7 running on  HP-UX B.11.31 

bptm is taking 100% of the processor where doing Distributed Segment Processing (an operation related with the integration with DataDomain)

How can I limit from NetBackup and not from the OS the CPU usage of the bptm process?

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i believe it is not possible..

instead you can contorol number of jobs that you are pusing to this media server which will control the number of bptm process..but directly CPU usage not possible.

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Check if hyper-treading is enabled - we just gained X2 in transfer performance by enabling it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i believe it is not possible..

instead you can contorol number of jobs that you are pusing to this media server which will control the number of bptm process..but directly CPU usage not possible.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am seeing the same on a HP-UX box here. There is nothing within Netbackup you can do to limit the CPU usage of bpbkar. I belive you can use a HP product called Ressource Manager to limit the CPU/memory of usage of any process including bpbkar

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/enterprise/downloads/prm.overview.pdf

Limiting bpbkar CPU usage will cause slower backups.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best to have a look at NBU Performance Tuning Guide to ensure Media servers have enough physical resources.

See :
Updated NetBackup Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide for Release 7.5 and Release 7.6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Check if hyper-treading is enabled - we just gained X2 in transfer performance by enabling it. 

Gonz
Level 5
Employee

Thanks for ALL the suggestions.