cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Necessary to Use Image Meta Data Process ,when upgrading NB6.5.4 To NB7.5.0.3

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Please help me ,

1.Is it Necessary to Use Image Meta Data Process ,when upgrading NB 6.5.4 To NB 7.5.0.3

2. Is only Catalog hot backup not enough for upgrading?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Did a Windows one yesterday and smooth as a nut! - doing another one next week so hope it goes as well!

First i upgraded OpsCenter and patched to OpsCenter 7.5.0.3 - and then shut it down (opsadmin stop)

I disabled all policies, deactivated all media servers, deactivated all disk staging etc. and shut down NetBackup

So I then did a custom upgrade to 7.5 selecting not to start the services after the install

Added all my V7.5 keys during this (main one at the start, all the rest on the last screen)

As soon as it finished i did a bpdown to be totally sure

I then installed 7.5.0.3

When it finished the install i ran:

nbemmcmd -listsettings -brief -machinename <masterservername>

And looked at the SLP_DSSU_MIGRATION_STATE. When it changed from 0 to 1 you know phase 1 is complete

I then ran bpimage -cleanup -allclients (as one was not already running) and waited for that to finish (appears in activity monitor) and again kept an eye on the nbemmcmd command but this time watching for LIST_FS_IMAGE_HEADERS to change from a value of 1 to 0

Once that one is zero you are good to go - you can now upgrade your media servers and re-enable everything

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

1. Is it Necessary to Use Image Meta Data Process ,when upgrading NB 6.5.4 To NB 7.5.0.3

Do you mean this?

During the upgrade to NetBackup 7.5 the Image Metadata is moved into NBDB

If you currently use NetBackup 6.x, 7.x  and plan to upgrade to version 7.5, be aware that NetBackup version 7.5 contains many changes ... one such enhancement  ... is the move of the Image Metadata from the existing flat file structure,  into the NetBackup NBDB database.

The move of the Image metadata into into the NBDB database is carried out during the upgrade and also as a post upgrade job.

& this

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH173229

Prior to NetBackup 7.5  the image header files where located in the following directory.

WINDOWS : <install-path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images\

UNIX :  /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

During the  upgrade process to Netbackup 7.5,  this information will no longer be kept here,  but instead will be moved into the NetBackup NBDB database.   To ensure the upgrade to NetBackup 7.5 does not take too long,  only a small subset of images will be moved into NBDB during the actual upgrade.  The rest of the images will be moved during the next cleanup job,  after the upgrade is complete.

Can't see it as being avoided! ;)

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Upgrade Guide

2. Is only Catalog hot backup not enough for upgrading?

Not sure where you're going here ....

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for Link having 

OPTION 1:  Before upgrade to NetBackup 7.5

If you want to choose to move all image header information into the NBDB database :

Prior to upgrade to NetBackup 7.5 with previous version of NetBackup still installed,  create touch file

Touch File:  MERGE_ALL_IMAGE_HEADERS

Windows :  <install-path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\

Unix :  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin

OPTION 2: Post upgrade to NetBackup 7.5

Instead of creating the touch file,  run a catalog cleanup manually after the upgrade to start the move of all images into NBDB.

Windows : <install-path>\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpimage -prunetir -allclients -cleanup

Unix :  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimage -prunetir -allclients -cleanup

OPTION 3: Post upgrade to NetBackup 7.5

You can use cat_import command to import all image metadata for all clients or individual clients in parallel. 

To import all clients:

Windows:   <install-path>\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>cat_import  -all  -delete_source -base <install-path>\NetBackup\db

Unix :  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/cat_import -all -delete_source -base /usr/openv/netbackup/db

To import 1 clients images at a time:

Windows:   <install-path>\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>cat_import  -client  <clientname>  -delete_source -base <install-path>\NetBackup\db

Unix :  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/cat_import -client  <clientname>  -delete_source -base /usr/openv/netbackup/db

1.Yes andy i mean this, i have read all of it , its long process. my practice before is only catalog backup then upgrade ,then recover the catalog

is only one command from above is enough for metadata process?

Unix :  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimage -prunetir -allclients -cleanup

2.ok

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

That's what it says - have a good read of the Upgrade Guide and the links etc in the 7.x Upgrade Portal

There's also a lot of info on this forum & one I've just spent a few minutes trying to find from Martin:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-we-directly-upgrade-netbackup-65-nb75#comment-7530151

Yes, but do not go to 7.5, goto 7.5.0.3  (there is a bug in 7.5)

Upgrade 7.5 but DO NOT start the processes.

Then add the 7.5.0.3 patch, after which it is safe to start NBU.

Unfortunately it's a procedure I've no direct experience of so cannot advise in that regard .... :(

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Did a Windows one yesterday and smooth as a nut! - doing another one next week so hope it goes as well!

First i upgraded OpsCenter and patched to OpsCenter 7.5.0.3 - and then shut it down (opsadmin stop)

I disabled all policies, deactivated all media servers, deactivated all disk staging etc. and shut down NetBackup

So I then did a custom upgrade to 7.5 selecting not to start the services after the install

Added all my V7.5 keys during this (main one at the start, all the rest on the last screen)

As soon as it finished i did a bpdown to be totally sure

I then installed 7.5.0.3

When it finished the install i ran:

nbemmcmd -listsettings -brief -machinename <masterservername>

And looked at the SLP_DSSU_MIGRATION_STATE. When it changed from 0 to 1 you know phase 1 is complete

I then ran bpimage -cleanup -allclients (as one was not already running) and waited for that to finish (appears in activity monitor) and again kept an eye on the nbemmcmd command but this time watching for LIST_FS_IMAGE_HEADERS to change from a value of 1 to 0

Once that one is zero you are good to go - you can now upgrade your media servers and re-enable everything

Hope this helps

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Cheers Mark. Helped me & I'm not even doing it!

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

tHANKS A LOT Marks solution

its great

i will try all these steps then told u, it seems excellent

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks a lot Marks Solution , i ran those commands practically , after upgrading NB 6.5.4 to NB 7.5.0.3 ,then activate media server , and policies and all, now upgrade successful

following is the screen shot after running bpimage and nbemmcmd command

Red mark showing status of SLP_DSSU_MIGRATION_STATE. When it changed from 0 to 1

LIST_FS_IMAGE_HEADERS   change from a value of 1 to 0