cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible do expire part of an backup image ?

Eduardo_Aguiar
Level 3

Hi,

First of all, Sorry for my bad english.

I would like to know if is it possible to expire part of an image content. 

We used to backup our file server + pst files in the same policy, so when i make a search i see only one image.

Today, we want to clean and expire the .pst files from this image, but i dont't found any option like this in the graphical mode.

Someone knows any advice for this issue?

We used Netbackup + Data Domain, but our disks are growing very fast, what's the maximum high watermark netbackup could reach to keep working well ? They're getting 92% and i observer the replications are getting slower.

So i started to granulate my policys and don't make the mistake of keep much files,databases and vms in the same policy. Is that the best pratice for policys ?

ThankYou,

Felipe Machado.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sorry, not possible. 

There is no option in bpexpdate to exclude or include certain file types. 
The entire image and all files contained in the image number will be expired.

View solution in original post

Genericus
   VIP   

Agree with Marianne - the short answer is NO.

If you absolutely need to do this, you would be reduced to restoring the image to a temp server, then deleting the stuff you do not need, then running a new backup against that - A Big Waste of Time and Effort, IMHO.

Data Domains do NOT like being full, and will stop working at about 95% - Danger Will Robinson!

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Having a separate policy for each datatypes is good but you have to manage that depending upon how your data is stored.

By the way exclude the files from backup (like pst) if you don't want to backup, that's the immediate solution to reduce the pain for now but no option for old backups that you are looking for.

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sorry, not possible. 

There is no option in bpexpdate to exclude or include certain file types. 
The entire image and all files contained in the image number will be expired.

Genericus
   VIP   

Agree with Marianne - the short answer is NO.

If you absolutely need to do this, you would be reduced to restoring the image to a temp server, then deleting the stuff you do not need, then running a new backup against that - A Big Waste of Time and Effort, IMHO.

Data Domains do NOT like being full, and will stop working at about 95% - Danger Will Robinson!

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Having a separate policy for each datatypes is good but you have to manage that depending upon how your data is stored.

By the way exclude the files from backup (like pst) if you don't want to backup, that's the immediate solution to reduce the pain for now but no option for old backups that you are looking for.

Eduardo_Aguiar
Level 3

Thanks everyone for the answer. I imagine that could be the answer, but the hope is the last one that die.

From now and one, i'm going to rebuild our policys, granulating each type of backup or file.

Is there any material that shows me the best practice for each backup Type? File System ? SQL? Exchange? 

Genericus
   VIP   

I use BOOST for my VM backups, and the servers with LARGE data file systems, think 6TB splunk logs.

I backup most of my unix OS directly, if I have file systems over 2 TB I exclude them and back them up seperately.

I use RMAN for oracle, but I have direct Fiber channel for most of my big DB, so I write to VTL.

All my smaller DB have been migrated to linux, I write them to disk using RMAN over 10G.

My exchange backups are mostly for disaster, our emails are backed up off site by a third party, so if we need a folder restored we get it from them. 

I keep four weeks on my data domain, 95% of my restores are from there, I rarely recall tapes.

I find that as you increase the retention on the data domain, the dedupe goes up, so 2 weeks may take up X space, but 4 weeks will only take 1.5 X, the space used does increase, but it is not linear. Your mileage may vary, the biggest issue with DD is you will never know how much space it takes until you put it there. I was able to store up to eight weeks on my data domains, but it went from 60% to 80% full, we decided not to push it and settled for four weeks.

so in my case 4 weeks was 60% full, eight weeks was 80% full.