cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to bpduplicate to a dummy storage unit?

gc_bus
Level 4
Is it possible to bpduplicate to a dummy storage unit?

I'm looking to run scripted systematic bpduplicate's of Netbackup images written to a Puredisk SPA for verification purposes. I'd like to be able to write them to the equivalent of /dev/null but on Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Glyn.
2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
I am not offering this as a solution but only as something to consider.

Perform backup testing to disk storage unit without writing the data to disk
http://support.veritas.com/docs/323670

Details:
BACKGROUND:

Prior to NetBackup 6.5.x, one can touch /usr/openv/netbackup/bpdm_dev_null and the backup to disk storage unit will not retain the data on disk. See TN 277153 for more details, found below in the Related Documents section.

The support for bpdm_dev_null touch file (as per performance tuning guide on page 93 and 94 For NetBackup 6.5) - Contains the information about bpdm_dev_null and /dev/null but this feature will not work in NetBackup 6.5.x.  In NetBackup 6.5.x, a new feature is implemented with a new touch file.  The touch files are:

UNIX: /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SKIP_DISK_WRITES

Windows: Veritas\Netbackup\db\config\SKIP_DISK_WRITES

This disables all backup data write operations for disk backups while retaining the creation of disk fragments and associated metadata (the cost of creating images is retained while the cost of storing backup data is excluded).

There is no /dev/null device associated with this capability. In comparison to 6.0 where /dev/null was the target write device, this implementation simply turns write operations for backup data into no-ops. As a result, no syscall and associated performance costs are incurred.

SOLUTION:

- Create disk storage unit

- Create test backup policy and select the disk storage unit

- Touch file:

UNIX: /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SKIP_DISK_WRITES

Windows: Veritas\Netbackup\db\config\SKIP_DISK_WRITES

CAUTION:

The touch file will disable all backup data write operations for disk so is not recommended to touch this file on a production server and data lost will occur. Once the test is done, the touch file must be removed.