cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to configure "seeding" for backup replication (not duplication)?

Sherry_Wang
Level 2

Hello,

I'm looking for feedback about replicating data from MSDP master server on remote sites back to data center site.

They are not in the same domain. I referred some symantec documents (such as "https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH163110.html") that pre-seeding could be used for deduplication but I don't know if I could use seeding to speed up the initial full backup replication. If it could be used, what's the configuration step ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Sherry

Duplication and Replication are in effect the same thing. Just the construct it runs under is different, inter or intra domain.

When doing seeding for duplication the basic idea is to backup the data from the client you wish to seed on some type of removable device. Take it to the destination you'd like to have it, and then import it into the deduplication pool. From then on you'll have the data in both sites, be that on two deduplication pools, or on the client and the deduplication pool. Backups or duplications will be quick.

An alternative to this is to use the seedutil and point and another client (with the same data) to get the seeding done. https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH144437.html

From a replication point of view, the storage servers don't really know whats going on on tthe NetBackup level, i.e. if they're part of the same domain, or not. They just know they're sending data between each other and will check amongst themselves on what to send and what not to send.

So i would say the same process will work for both scenarios....but I've not tested it.

You can do a simple test with a folder instead of an entire server :)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Sherry

Duplication and Replication are in effect the same thing. Just the construct it runs under is different, inter or intra domain.

When doing seeding for duplication the basic idea is to backup the data from the client you wish to seed on some type of removable device. Take it to the destination you'd like to have it, and then import it into the deduplication pool. From then on you'll have the data in both sites, be that on two deduplication pools, or on the client and the deduplication pool. Backups or duplications will be quick.

An alternative to this is to use the seedutil and point and another client (with the same data) to get the seeding done. https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH144437.html

From a replication point of view, the storage servers don't really know whats going on on tthe NetBackup level, i.e. if they're part of the same domain, or not. They just know they're sending data between each other and will check amongst themselves on what to send and what not to send.

So i would say the same process will work for both scenarios....but I've not tested it.

You can do a simple test with a folder instead of an entire server :)