cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to "blacklist" a client from netbackup?

lidl1930
Level 1

Hello,

We have a particular SQL server that we want to ensure is *never* backed up, even if, for example, someone accidentally adds it to a policy.  Is this possible?

I thought about adding it to its own policy with a comprehensive file exclusion, but that would still allow for the possibility of someone adding it to a typical policy by mistake.

Thank you for any help!

5 REPLIES 5

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

HI @lidl1930 

I think if you add the client so that it appears in the client attributes section of the master server host properties, then tick the option to offline the client until a date and choose something far into the future (this wont stop someone removing this override, but will prevent inadvertant backups running. 

davidmoline_0-1654640421440.png

To add the client, use the "bpclient -add -client <xxx>", you may also want to add any reasonable aliases for the client (such as shortname/FQDNand anything else it might be known by). You can also use the bpclient command to offline the backups (bpclient -update -client xxx -offline_backup).

Cheers
David

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

you can also simply avoid NetBackup client installation on the client.

I think even in this case it can be picked up by a VMware/Hyper-V Intelligent policy and backed up in the case it is a virtual machine  - despite it is configured as Offline Client.

May I know what is the background of this requirement? Performance, security,...?

Regards

Michal

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

One more thought... Add this client to hosts file with some bogus IP on master - this should prevent any communication with it.

Azhar4
Level 4

if it has agent installed.. u can revoke its certificate altogether and it will fail if someone manually ends up running it

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Block the IP on the operating systems firewall (master & media servers)