cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to restore a netbackup image to a SQL Server BAK file?

hall_mc
Not applicable
I am wondering if anyone knows how to do the following using NetBackup MS SQL Database Agent version 6.5?

I want to take a backup of my SQL Server database that was created using the NetBackup SQL Agent and restore it to a SQL Server BAK file that then can be given to the local development group for restoration via SQL Server tools to their local instance.

I have read through the "NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Guide" and have not been able to find any indication that this is possible.  Any assistance with this request will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Its is not possible to restore a netbackup db backup image to a BAK FIle.

BAK File is a Backup FIle that is created by MS SQL.

NetBackup SQL Agent Backup's the Database from MS SQL Directly. And Restoration can be performed from Netbackup image and it will restore the LDF,MDF files; based on the Recovery option that you set on restore Script, netbackup will import/restore the LDF and MDF files into MS SQL as Database.

In your setup, You can set restore the LDF and MDF files with setting Not Recovered, and share the files to Development group and ask them to attach that databases.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Keep it simply SQL

Create an MS SQL BAK file to disk and back it up to tape then hand the tape over.

Abesama
Level 6
Partner
SQL in itself has a small backup/restore capabilities - using it's own scheduler, it's like a small backup software for itself.

SQL DBAs know how to do it (creating bak files) themselves, they are just pulling your leg mate, don't get dragged in.

"IF" the database is big, and they don't want big file transfer or there's no network connectivity between the two SQL servers, then yes they might need you to backup the bak files (which they created already) to tape, and you restore it to another SQL server.

:0)

A