cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is possible to do a track log backup ?

rfmonteiro
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have a policy with accelerator on, but I'm doing backup the only one folder in this server.
Have any solucion do not do the backup full again if I need to recreate de server.
Is possible to do a track log backup ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Whilst we can easily see that the structure of a track log folders contain the backup policy name... what's not clear to me is whether a 'track log' folder structure can be transposed from one machine to another - even if the full client names and policy names are to remain the same.

I have tried to look inside some of the track log meta-data files, but it's mostly binary data - and so we cannot deduce anything at all really.

We need to keep in mind that any 'new clients' added to any policy (new or old) will always cause an incremental to run as a full - so if the recovery process includes building out a new master - and adding a client to a policy - even if it was the same same as the previous backup policy - then an incremental is still going to run as a full.

And, if NTFS Change Journaling is enabled on a backup client, then wouldn't a restore of the main data folder cause the NTFS VxCJ*.dat files to be populated with lots and lots of "new file created" type entries, and so wouldn't this circumvent any guessed at benefits of copying/restoring the "track log" folder structures before the next incremental backup runs of a "re-created" or "restore" client?  i.e. I would have thought that NetBackup Client would take the advice of VxCJ*.dat in conjunction with the advice from the accelerator track log - and if either indicates a new or modified file is present then that file would get backed-up no matter the schedule type.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is there more than one drive letter on the client? 
If there is a data drive that will not be reformatted, move the track log there.

How to redirect the NetBackup Accelerator track log to a different location
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO77409 

Recreate the link after reinstallation.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Whilst we can easily see that the structure of a track log folders contain the backup policy name... what's not clear to me is whether a 'track log' folder structure can be transposed from one machine to another - even if the full client names and policy names are to remain the same.

I have tried to look inside some of the track log meta-data files, but it's mostly binary data - and so we cannot deduce anything at all really.

We need to keep in mind that any 'new clients' added to any policy (new or old) will always cause an incremental to run as a full - so if the recovery process includes building out a new master - and adding a client to a policy - even if it was the same same as the previous backup policy - then an incremental is still going to run as a full.

And, if NTFS Change Journaling is enabled on a backup client, then wouldn't a restore of the main data folder cause the NTFS VxCJ*.dat files to be populated with lots and lots of "new file created" type entries, and so wouldn't this circumvent any guessed at benefits of copying/restoring the "track log" folder structures before the next incremental backup runs of a "re-created" or "restore" client?  i.e. I would have thought that NetBackup Client would take the advice of VxCJ*.dat in conjunction with the advice from the accelerator track log - and if either indicates a new or modified file is present then that file would get backed-up no matter the schedule type.

rfmonteiro
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne,

I dont have other drive letter on this client.

This server has a Wan link and the first backup is slower.

For this reason I thought of a way to save the track log after each backup.