cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "nbstlutil -wait active" broken??

elanmbx
Level 6

This continues to give me fits.  It seems doing an "nbstlutil -wait inactive -lifecycle <SLP>" works fairly reliably.  The activation command "nbstlutil -wait active -lifecycle <SLP>", however, does NOT.  It will sometimes come back with "cannot connect to nbstserv" - sometimes it will simply spit out:

Waiting for ongoing Lifecycle image processing session to end. Type Ctrl C to exit
Waiting for ongoing Lifecycle image processing session to end. Type Ctrl C to exit

The exceedingly frustrating thing about this whole scenario is that right-clicking on the SLP from the Java Admin Console and deactivating/activating an SLP works EVERY TIME.  I can try to run the command from my shell and it won't do anything - switch over to the console and I can deactivate/activate the SLP all day long.

What's wrong with the nbstlutil command?!?

Am I the only one that has issues with this?

Thanks!

-Mike-

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You are missing one important pice of information. What version af Netbackup are we talking about ?

elanmbx
Level 6

Yes - sorry about that...

Master: Solaris - NetBackup v. 7.5.0.5

Media: Symantec 5220s - NetBackup 2.5.2 (7.5.0.5)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

humm - I am on 7.5.0.4 and does not see the issues on Linux. For scripting the "-wait" is certainly required when deactivating SLP's.

Just a thought. What if you leave out the -wait on activation will the "Waiting for ongoing Lifecycle image processing session to end. Type Ctrl C to exit" or "cannot connect to nbstser" then appear ?

elanmbx
Level 6

I continue to have issues with nbstserv.  I have upgraded to 7.5.0.6 and the issue has gotten *better* but it still happens - just not as frequently.  I probably have nbstserv quit working for me 1-2 times per week now.

My "workaround" has been to simply terminate the daemon and restart it... which seems to "fix" it for awhile.

For the record - this is on a Solaris 10 master server.

I'm getting perilously close to simply putting in a crontab entry on the master to terminate and restart the nbstserv daemon once a day.

Is *anyone* having an issue with nbstserv like this?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Not heard of ths issue. My thoughts are that it could be environmental, something unique to your environment which is causing the 'cannot connet to nbstserv'. I have a solaris 7.5.0.6 server so I'll try it out tomorrow.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I was unab;e to reproduce this - I deactivated/ activated an SLP 50 times with no failure.

The following logs may show something:

nbstserv  (unified log -o 226 )

admin

nbroxy

Martin

elanmbx
Level 6

The plot thickens...

Logged in this morning and noticed that a number of my SLP duplication jobs seemed to have simply "stopped" at 07:30 - there was no progress for over 60 minutes.

On a whim I terminated and restarted nbstserv and lo and behold - the jobs immediately started to progress again.

I think I may need to open a case with support to have the nbstserv daemon on SPARC Solaris checked... <sigh>

elanmbx
Level 6

Grrr... so came in this morning and things looked nice and clean.  Only later did I discover that my SLPs (which I deactivate in the evening while the main backup window runs) were not re-activated during the night.  Sure enough - nbstserv commands to reactivate policies were not working.

Terminated & restarted nbstserv and SLPs were able to be re-activated at that point.

I think I'm going to need to get hold of support.  There is definitely something amiss with the Solaris version of nbstserv, apparently.

Genericus
   VIP   

Is this resolved? I am seeing issues on Solaris 10 master, at 7.5.0.3.

I use the inactive and active lifecycles to pause and start my SLP

I have started to notice that when there are a lot of duplications queued  (over 1,000), they seem to get 'stuck'

I found my scripts that runs after my vault that re-activates all SLP, my 23:00 script that activates all SLP in case any were left inactive, and my 07:00 script that checks what remain in process and deactivates the rest all still running when I came in. They were all not moving. I stopped and restarted the nbstserv daemon and used the GUI to activate all SLP policies and the duplications started.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS