cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a NetBackup full installer that will run successfully on Mac OS X 10.5

mac_admin
Level 2
Hi all,

I wonder if anybody can shed any light on the following problem.

I have a NetBackup server running version 6.5.2 and a need to connect Mac clients. The clients are running Mac OS X 10.5.6 and 10.5.8.

According to http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/304434.htm NetBackup 6.5.2 is a patch release that is meant to upgrade an existing 6.5.x installation. Attempting to locally install NetBackup 6.5 on a client running Mac OS X 10.5 will fail.

What installer do I need to run on my 10.5 boxes to make NetBackup recognise them as clients?.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
4 REPLIES 4

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Matt, the 10.5 installer is available for download available from the following techonte: http://support.veritas.com/docs/304434

Scroll all the way to the bottom, and then page up once, twice, or thrice until you see the red DOWNLOAD NOW link, follow that, you should be good.

-Sean

Anonymous
Not applicable
DOCUMENTATION: How is the NetBackup 6.5.2 client installed on a Mac OS X 10.5 ("Leopard") server?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/302495.htm

Due to changes in the Mac OS X operating system, local installation of the NetBackup 6.5 Mac OS X 10.4 ("Tiger") client fails on systems where version 10.5 ("Leopard") is installed.

Support for Mac OS X 10.5 began with the NetBackup 6.5.2 release update.  A special installer for Mac OS X 10.5 was developed (TechFile 304434, linked below).  Local installation of the client is possible by using this installer.  Remote installation of the client is also possible if the Mac client is installed on a UNIX server, provided that the client has been updated to version 6.5.2.

mac_admin
Level 2
Thanks for the info but I've tried this installer and it doesn't seem to work. The services that are supposed to run that listen for commands from the server never get started and there's no documentation on how to check and troubleshoot.

My grasp of the English language may be off as well but the wording (not to mention the layout) of this document is rather misleading.

"Support for Mac OS X 10.5 began with the NetBackup 6.5.2 release update.  A special installer for Mac OS X 10.5 was developed (TechFile 304434, linked below).  Local installation of the client is possible by using this installer." says to me;

"You're running 10.5 so you need 6.5.2. Go to TechFile 304434 and get the 'special installer' that will run on 10.5." so I went to 304434 and got; "Cannot install NetBackup 6.5.2 to a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). This issue affects PowerPC- and Intel-based machines with Mac OS X 10.5.NetBackup 6.5.2 is a patch release that is meant to upgrade an existing 6.5.x installation."

I can't install 6.5 on 10.5 because it's not compatible and I can't install 6.5.2 because I haven't installed 6.5. So which is it? the chicken or the egg? One document says one thing, the next document says another. Why can't there just be a 6.5.2 installer that will run on a clean system.

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Matt, the installer I linked you to should be a slip-streamed 6.5.2 full installer for NetBackup clients running on Mac 10.5.  What happens when you run the install script from a shell as the root user after de-compressing the tar.gz package downloaded from the aforementioned technote, 304434?

-Sean