cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a defined WAN bandwidth requirement between a Windows Master server & a Windows media server ?

symantec040
Level 4

This is a one of the strange queries to come up with. But a question always remain a questions unless a solution is found.

The master server and media servers are both on Windows 2008R2. Now, they are geographically distant. So, its obvious that these two are communicating via WAN.

Let us consider a client with 2TB of data to be backed up to a Tape Library attached to the Media server(Above). 

Typically in a backup process flow,

bprd, bpdbm, nbjm, EMM (mds/da/nbemm) are involved in master server side , and mainly bpbrm,bptm on the media server side.

As the backup starts, Master server would only communicate with media server about the media details/resource details and then media server would handle the data coming from the client. I am sure this is the way.

Is there a defined WAN bandwidth requirement between a Windows Master server & a Windows media server ?

Well I think 1Megbyte / 2Megabyte WAN connection would still be hold good for the basic comm's between master & media server. Is there a documentation on this please, that anyone of us know 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I just checked the NBU 7.x performance and tuning guide - Not a single word about media to master server communication.

I have a media server in Japan with the master server located in Europe. We did not upgrade the capacity on the WAN connection. Ping latency 220 milliseconds. 

I do not have bulletproof documentation.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

yes, communication between the master and media server is only to update the media server status to the EMMserver and also to update the Metadata(catalog info) about the backups.

it does not reqequire the stronger bandwith, normal WAN would help in this case.

but you need to make sure that the network latency should not be more.. becasue EMM server periiodicaly check the status of the media server , if it did not get the response in expected time, it will mark that media server as offline.

symantec040
Level 4

@Nagalla,

I am totally with you. Just need some documentation to face the client. I know, I never thought I would be asking such question :)

Thank you for your quick response.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I just checked the NBU 7.x performance and tuning guide - Not a single word about media to master server communication.

I have a media server in Japan with the master server located in Europe. We did not upgrade the capacity on the WAN connection. Ping latency 220 milliseconds. 

I do not have bulletproof documentation.

symantec040
Level 4

@Nicloai,

Yes, the documentation part is a tough one for this query. 

I already raised a supp case with Symc, and below is questionnaire they asked for,

How many files are being backed up? Many small files will result in large meta data sizes.
How often are the backups run?
Is the WAN link used for anything else?
Do you intend for Admin console traffic to be connecting to the Master via the WAN link?
Is QOS in use on the WAN link?

And the engineer also said there is no document available for the same - I agree to this.

At the same time, I hope my client also understand that I did some work :p

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Some figures to compare with you're own setup:

3098 backup jobs per week

4TB backup per week

We do use the WAN link for other purposes

Backup run each day

I do not believe QOS is active

Best Regards

Nicolai

symantec040
Level 4

There was no solution to this - as it involves a lot factors which include,

- Amount of traffic between master server & media server.

- Network load on an average

- Resiliency 

!