cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a "backup_notify" equivalent for post-duplication job processing?

zmlat
Level 4

Hello,

I want to automate an action on the second copy of my backups. I basically need the backup ID of the backup after the duplication is successful, similar to how backup_notify gets passed the backup ID after a successful backup. It looks like NB does not have such a script, but thought I'd confirm. This is for NB 8.2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @zmlat 

Yes - that is a problem that your version of NetBackup doesn't support retention lock. One of my customers had this issue some time ago and the way they managed this was to use DD replication to create the retention locked copy on a second DD (this was outside of NetBackup control and I don't have the specific details, I understand EMC provided the scripting/mechanism for this). This worked but does require a second DD (which makes it an expensive solution). 

An upgrade of the primary server and the required media servers to 8.3.0.1 would be a quicker and simpler solution in the short term if this feature is a requirement. The upgrade should be relatively painless and you could target only those servers that need to be upgraded to support WORM/retention lock.

Finally, making changes to the retention settings on the DD without NetBackup knowing about them may cause issues for you, it may well work but it would not be a supported conifguration so is not recommmended. And I think you understand that from your last comment.

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @zmlat 

I believe the answer is there is no mechanism for SLP processing to directly trigger an action similar to backup_exit_notify. 

What is it you want to do - there may be other ways to achieve what you want.

David

Thanks David.

I'm trying to change the access time of the 2nd copy image files in order to implement Data Domain retention lock.
Evidently, I need to be on version 8.3 in order for NB to recognize the "worm" capability on the DD. Trying to hold off upgrading to 8.3 since I'm planning to refresh the environment, and install version 9 later in the year. And while the DD can implement an "automatic lock", that is not supported on ddboost-enabled mtrees :( .

Hi @zmlat 

Yes - that is a problem that your version of NetBackup doesn't support retention lock. One of my customers had this issue some time ago and the way they managed this was to use DD replication to create the retention locked copy on a second DD (this was outside of NetBackup control and I don't have the specific details, I understand EMC provided the scripting/mechanism for this). This worked but does require a second DD (which makes it an expensive solution). 

An upgrade of the primary server and the required media servers to 8.3.0.1 would be a quicker and simpler solution in the short term if this feature is a requirement. The upgrade should be relatively painless and you could target only those servers that need to be upgraded to support WORM/retention lock.

Finally, making changes to the retention settings on the DD without NetBackup knowing about them may cause issues for you, it may well work but it would not be a supported conifguration so is not recommmended. And I think you understand that from your last comment.

Cheers
David