cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to remove and add media servers to client config on windows and unix without logging onto all the clients.

user022013
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi guys,

We are moving our media servers and renaming them in the process.  We have quite a few unix/linux/windows servers that will require the old media servers to be removed from the client config and the new server names added in.

Has anyone done this via a script, or is there a command that can be run to do it?

The NetBackup environment is all 7.5.0.5

Clients consist of numerous versions of Windows, Unix and Linux.

Hence I guess it is a reg key edit for Wintel and a bp.conf edit for the others but I am not a scriptor unfortunately.

Your help in this would be very much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Whether you logon to each client or whether you use Host Properties -> Clients, a connection is needed to each client. I normally use Host Properties and select about 10 clients at a time.

Another way is the add_media_server_on_clients command (in ...\netbackup\bin). Run it on the master server to syncronize the master's Server list with all clients. The master needs to be able to connect to all clients.

How do you intend updating EMM database on master server with changed media server names?

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Hmm... Since you are renaming them ( and seems like migrating to another box) you will need to decommission these server.  There is a decommission tool : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO43775

Question, are you migrating to another box ? OR keeping it on the same box, just updating the OS/ hardware ?