Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any impact of upgrading OST plug-in on media server

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Hello Everyone

We have EMC datadomain used as storage target. Below are the details for that

Model                          DDOS Version             OST Plug-in version
            DD860/DD670/DD610            5.4.2.1-423209            2.4.1.0-289644    

I would like to implement NBU accelerator fetaure for few of the clients.

Accelerator requires OST plug-in at version 2.6 or later.

Does upgrading OST plugin on media server have any impact.

Can we upgrade OST plugin while backups are running or do we need to stop the backups?

Does it require to restart media server services after upgrade.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU services must be restarted after installing updated plugin.

I would personally suspend/stop all activity on the media server before updating the plugin.

View solution in original post

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

HirVikas,

ans: you need to check the plugin OS compatibility as well

Can we upgrade OST plugin while backups are running or do we need to stop the backups?

Ans: No. you need to stop the Netbackup services first and then upgrade the plugin.  

Ans: for installation of the plugin you need to stop the netbackup services.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

From the release notes :

DD OS 5.4 is supported on the following Data Domain systems: l Appliance Series: DD990, DD7200, DD890, DD880,DD4500, DD860, DD690, DD4200, DD670, DD660, DD2500, DD640, DD630, DD620, DD610, DD580, DD565, DD530, DD510, DD160, DD140, DD120 

Is mangement aware of the security vulnerabilityies in DDOS ? - just to help you out.

The GNU BASH (Bourne Again SHell) implementation has been updated to resolve the following vulnerability: CVE-2014-6271

The GNU C library (glibc) implementation has been updated to resolve the following vulnerability: n CVE-2015-0235 (popularly known as "GHOST") l

The ntpd implementation of the Network Time Protocol has been updated to resolve the following vulnerabilities: CVE-2014-9293 n CVE-2014-9294 n CVE-2014-9295 n CVE-2014-9296 

The OpenSSL implementation has been updated to resolve the following vulnerability: n CVE-2014-3566 (popularly known as "POODLE")

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

They can have different versions.

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU services must be restarted after installing updated plugin.

I would personally suspend/stop all activity on the media server before updating the plugin.

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

HirVikas,

ans: you need to check the plugin OS compatibility as well

Ans: No. you need to stop the Netbackup services first and then upgrade the plugin.  

Ans: for installation of the plugin you need to stop the netbackup services.

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Thank you Marianne and Pritesh.

I will find out more on it and will be back to you in case if i stuck somewhere

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Upgrade the DDOS to 5.4.5.0 as well. There is a lot of accelerated backup issues in DDOS plus you are running a version open for both poodle, ghost and shellshock vulnerability.

If you have a EMC support account, this page show what DDOS versions released

DD OS Software Versions            
https://support.emc.com/kb/184446

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Thanks Nicolai.

Its very difficult to tell management regarding DD OS upgrde .. as the model which we are using is no more supported by EMC.

So i am not sure if DD OS upgrade cause any issue

OST plug-in is the major requirement for accelerator hence we are implementing it.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Data Domain OST plugin requires an OST license from EMC.  If your hardware and OS are not supported by EMC anymore, you likely won't be able to get a current OST plugin to work successfully.  And you would need an EMC account, and therefore a valid support contract, to get a copy of the plugin, correct?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

From the release notes :

DD OS 5.4 is supported on the following Data Domain systems: l Appliance Series: DD990, DD7200, DD890, DD880,DD4500, DD860, DD690, DD4200, DD670, DD660, DD2500, DD640, DD630, DD620, DD610, DD580, DD565, DD530, DD510, DD160, DD140, DD120 

Is mangement aware of the security vulnerabilityies in DDOS ? - just to help you out.

The GNU BASH (Bourne Again SHell) implementation has been updated to resolve the following vulnerability: CVE-2014-6271

The GNU C library (glibc) implementation has been updated to resolve the following vulnerability: n CVE-2015-0235 (popularly known as "GHOST") l

The ntpd implementation of the Network Time Protocol has been updated to resolve the following vulnerabilities: CVE-2014-9293 n CVE-2014-9294 n CVE-2014-9295 n CVE-2014-9296 

The OpenSSL implementation has been updated to resolve the following vulnerability: n CVE-2014-3566 (popularly known as "POODLE")

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Thank you Nicolai for the update.

one more query,

Is it ok if my master server is having OST plugin 2.4 and i just upgrade one of the media server OST plugin to 2.6

or master & media both should have same plugin .

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

They can have different versions.