cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to backup vmware machines via ESX directly without VC

Sisso
Level 5

Hello,

We are running Netbackup 7.6.0.2 Windows Master Server 2008 R2 SP1, and all our media server is Appliances 5320 with version 2.6.0.4 and netbbackup version with 7.6.0.4.

Recently, we experienced a lot of network losts between the Appliance Backup host to the VC that charge of all the ESX servers in the VM environment.

As a result of this, I am looking for other way to backup all the VM Machines without using the VC, I heard that there is a way to create proxy server that will manage all my backups, and the backups will go through the ESX server directly.

Is anyone did it before and can help how to configure that, or know a good guid with step by step to configure this ?

Thank you,

Sisso

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I would highly recommend that you not use a direct backup from the ESX host. One of the biggest advantages you have when using vCenter is you can backup the machine regardless of the host it is on. Today it may be on Host A and tomorrow it can be on Host B depending on load balancing software or VM admin decisions. If you specify a single host you will experience failures and you will have an administration headache on your hands.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VMware backup using Symantec NetBackup: Top articles, videos, and guides

Article:HOWTO79572  |  Created: 2012-09-25  |  Updated: 2012-09-27  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO79572

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Your VC isn't used to do the backups, its only used to get informaiton about the VMguests and to create snapshots. What transport method are you using for the backups?

Please also ellaborate on the issues you faced.

Check out the port on transport methods.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/nuts-and-bolts-netbackup-vmware-transport-methods-and-tcp-ports

Sisso
Level 5

Hi,

The issues I faced is because initiated actions of changing switches that esx is connecting to them.

My goal is to do something that will not stop me all the backups when it happens, I mean when any connectivity issue happened the backups will continue from the beggingin when the connection back.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Fibre Channel or LAN switches? Connection issues between your esx hosts and the backup host will always result in failures, I don't understand what you're trying to achieve. Fix the comms issues.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I would highly recommend that you not use a direct backup from the ESX host. One of the biggest advantages you have when using vCenter is you can backup the machine regardless of the host it is on. Today it may be on Host A and tomorrow it can be on Host B depending on load balancing software or VM admin decisions. If you specify a single host you will experience failures and you will have an administration headache on your hands.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Is there a specfic client for ESX? I dont remember seeing one...even if there is , I wouldnt be going down that route for reasons described above. There are other ways eg via your storage : for example with netapp theres smvi and various snap extensions that enable one to access and put all your backups to storage. Jim.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Jim, no client as far as I know

Sisso
Level 5

Andrew,

Thank you for your advice, I think we will keep backing up via the VC.

We will try to solve the networks issues in a different way.

Thank you very much all for advices.