cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to check what is the actual size of files that are backed up?

Braveo
Level 3

Hi,

I am trying to verify if my backup is successful. When I compare the size of data written and the size of the actual data on the server, the size of data written is less then the actual data. Is it because compression is turned on? Is there any way to check the actual size that was backed up?

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

what is master server NBU version & OS ? what is client OS ? NBU policy type ?

Braveo
Level 3

Hi Yoge,

The NBU is 7.1 running on Windows 2008R2, client OS is 2008R2 as well. Policy type is MS-windows.

Thanks and Regards

Braveo

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Plz check is ther anything in client exclude list ? (client host properties)

What is data size in Client ?? & what is shows NBU activity monitor ?

If it is huge difference then u need to open case with Symantec support they will provide you EEB for this issue. 

Can you upgrade NBU from  7.1 to 7.1.0.1 ?

Braveo
Level 3

Hi Yoge,

The exclude list is default with a few extra my system admin added so that should be alright.

The client side is ~ 1.9TB and the backup size is ~1.4TB in the activity monitor.

Am I right to say that in the activity monitor, the size shown should be the true size of the files backed up? Even with compression enabled?

Thanks and Regards

Braveo

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Few week back i faced same issue but policy type was NDMP & Client is EMC NAS box.

That time symantec support team provided me EEB. & issue is resolved.

Braveo
Level 3

I see, I will raise a SR and see how it goes.

Thanks Yoge!

Regards

Braveo

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Verify your data through Backup Archive Restore Panel for the drives and folders you have backed up, and incase you find a difference then you can always log a support case with symantec to know the reason. Please do share it. Thanks......

Braveo
Level 3

Hi Dipendra,

Only by drilling down to file level on the BAR can I see the file size, is that the right way? I don't seem to be able to see the folder/drive size.

Thanks and Regards

Brighton

Braveo
Level 3

Hi Dipendra,

Only by drilling down to the file leve, then I am able to see the file size, am I right? Is there anywhere to see the folder/drive size?

Thanks and Regards

Braveo