cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this possible to tape inventory automatically with out mauall

charan
Level 4
Partner

Is this possible to tape inventory automatically with out mauall. if yes what is the precedure for this..

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please help us to understand why you need Inventory to happen automatically?

What should trigger the Inventory?

My understanding that tapes are inserted and/or removed from the library manually, right?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

let me check if I did understood you correctly: you are asking if you can perform robot inventory automatically?

If yes the I believe it is doable and depending on what OS your NBU is running on you would need to write a script to be executed either from crontab (unix type os) or task scheduler (windows based). In the script you shuold call out this command with proper number, robot type in your enviromnent, ie:

vmupdate -rt tld -rn 0 -rh robot_control_host -use_barcode_rules -empty_map

assumptions made: robot type is tld, robot number is 0, robot_control_host hast to be changed with your server which is managing this robot, use_barcode_rules and empty_map is up to you.... Now it is only a matter of scheduling this every xx minutes, hours....

If you robot supports unit attention, you can use the AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT vm.conf entry

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Genericus
   VIP   

My master is solaris, and I set up a script that can be called by our operations staff, so when they load tapes in the library, they can run the inventory script.  I also run this at set times during the day.

If you have multiple robots, you will need a section for each one. update the BOLD values to match your environment

ROBOT0=`/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt acs -rn 0 -use_barcode_rules -h MASTER 2>&1`
ROBOT1=`/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt acs -rn 1 -use_barcode_rules -h MASTER -rh ROBOTHOST 2>&1`
ROBOT2=`/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt tld -rn 2 -use_barcode_rules -h MASTER -rh ROBOTHOST 2>&1`
Then just echo the values in an email to yourself and OPS

I included commands in the script to count scratch tapes as well, so I set up an alias "ask.scratch" that calls it to echo to my screen, so I can inventory and list our the scratch tapes at will - I always wonder why other admins have troubles knowing how many scratch tapes they have...

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Hello Guys

Thanks for your replay. with valuble suggestions.

actually hear is the thing. we recently given this job(do inventory on perticuler day) to another team but they do not perform corectly. and again we are doing this is mauall task for us. so i need to run this inventory job via script or schedule task. kindly help me. 

we are have windows environment

Genericus
   VIP   

You should mark quebek reply as solution, you just need to determine how to call a script on your windows master.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS