Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with schedule

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi Folks,

I have one policy with two schedules. One is nornal schedule and other is with SLP override. Bothe schedules are set on same days and timings. Both are Full backup schedules. The first schedule(normal) retention is 1 month(disk) and second schedule(SLP based) retention is Backup 1 month(Disk) and duplication 1 year(tape). Now when the time meets only the first schedule is firing not the second schedule(SLP). Netbackup should  fire the schedule that has larg retention.But here its not happening. I want SLP schedule to be run when the schedules are overlapping.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

spitman
Level 5

For my monthly backups, I run them on the third Saturday of the month. That Saturday won't ever change. Then the weekly backups, I have run every Saturday except the third one. If your monthly backup doesn't have to be specifically on the last weekend of the month, this would work for you.

I have seen people specify exclude dates on a weekly schedule. If you set up a list of exclude dates in the weekly schedule, the monthly backup will not occur on those dates. The only problem with this is you have to remember to add the dates to exclude as time carries on (i.e. do a few months in advance, and set yourself a reminder to keep adding on).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i believe netbackup consider the retenction of the backup operations not the duplication operations..

you need to set the backup operation in SLP is greater then 1 month... may be 35 days ...to get this done..

besides.. when you have SLP .. what is your requirement to have 2 schedules at same retenction and same time.

do they have different calender times or in frequeny... if yes..longer due schedule will run fisst..

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Trying to configure weekly and monthly backups on same policy. Weekly backups with 1 month retention and monthly with SLP. Calender has set and the last week (Fri,Sat) of the month monthly schedule should run and weekly should skip. In some months 4 weeks and in some 5 weeks would be there.some overlapping is happening.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please show us your policy:
bppllist <policy-name> -U

It is possible to have multiple schedules in the same policy, but you need to carefully plan open backup windows. They must NOT overlap. See this TN:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH90544 
DOCUMENTATION: How to create a single MS-SQL-Server NetBackup policy which contains multiple schedules with different retention levels

Extract:

Please note that it is very important the two "Backup Policy" schedules do not overlap. If they do overlap, unpredictable results can occur, and backups could fail to take place or could expire prematurely. 

Most of our customers prefer different policies for SQL daily, weekly,etc backups.
If SLP, different SLPs must also be created for the the different retention requirements.

Oh, about schedule taking priority - it is 'least frequent' that takes priority, not 'longest retention'.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

I am looking for not only the db backups but all type. Incase i am creating new policy for monthly backup i worried again its overlaps with weekly one. i configured calander wise. monthly should run only on last week of the month and rest all week weekly should.

For exmpl : Consider June month.

Friday and Saturday are my weekend backups

Schedule typ as Calender.

For weekly schedule i selected 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th week (Friday & Sat)

Monthly i selected Last week (Friday & Sat)

When i see in Include dates, 27 & 28 are selected for both the schedules. Thts how it ovrlaps

spitman
Level 5

For my monthly backups, I run them on the third Saturday of the month. That Saturday won't ever change. Then the weekly backups, I have run every Saturday except the third one. If your monthly backup doesn't have to be specifically on the last weekend of the month, this would work for you.

I have seen people specify exclude dates on a weekly schedule. If you set up a list of exclude dates in the weekly schedule, the monthly backup will not occur on those dates. The only problem with this is you have to remember to add the dates to exclude as time carries on (i.e. do a few months in advance, and set yourself a reminder to keep adding on).

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

I feel setting up on 3rd saturday should work for me.

Experts : Any othr suggstions ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When to run monthly backups is a business decision. 
We cannot tell you.

All we can tell you is to carefully look at your schedules and ensure that schedules/backup windows do not overlap. All explained in TN posted above.

spitman
Level 5

Marianne's right--you should check with your legal department as far as when backups run, how long they are retained, etc. I was simply making a suggestion based on when I run ours.