cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Console compatibility question

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

I know this has somewhat been discussed before in this forum, but not exactly this question..

I want to upgrade from 7.1.0.2 to 7.1.0.3.  I manage multiple netbackup domains... if I upgrade to 7.1.0.3 do I have to upgrade my netbackup java console to 7.1.0.3 from 7.1.0.2 or will java console 7.1.0.2 be compatible with 7.1.0.3?

I'm hoping it is compatible, but based off what I read the java console version has to match the exact version of the master....

let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Originally Symantec told that I would need an EEB or that I would need to update the java console to 7.1.0.3.  I was now informed that the Netbackup java admin console 7.1.0.2 is compatible with netbackup 7.1.0.3.

Thanks,

Email from Symantec:

"Another update,  backline has performed preliminary tests with 7.1.0.2 Java console/NBU 7.1.0.3 and no issues have been found.  If you want to move forward with the upgrade you can use the current Java console per support.  Support will maintain the current case ... open during your upgrade."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I believe you will need to upgrade. Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Martin. You will need to upgrade.

You will be able to manage all 7.1.x masters with 7.1.0.3 Java Console.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I cannot guarantee the Java Console compatibility (I actually think you dont need to upgrade) but I have been told by Symantec Support that unlike everything else the 4th dot release does not affect compatibility

It goes against everything we have ever been told but it would mean that a 7.1.0.3 client would actually be compatible with a 7.1.0.3 Master / Media Server.

From the release notes:

Symantec NetBackup has always maintained that the master server within your
environment must be at a version level that is equal to or greater than the version
levels of your media servers and client servers within the same environment.
Beginning with NetBackup 7.1 and the NetBackup Appliances, you can apply a
maintenance update (for example 7.x.x.x) to a media server or client server within
an environment where your master server is at a version level of 7.1. This same
scenario can apply to the maintenance updates that are released under a minor
release or release update.

Symantec NetBackup does not support any scenario where a minor release or
release update is at a higher version level that the parent server. For example,
the following applies.
■ If a master server is at 7.1, then the media servers and client servers cannot
be at a single-dot version level that is higher than 7.1, such as 7.2 or 7.5.
■ If a master server is at 7.1, then the media servers and client servers cannot
be at a double-dot version level that is higher than 7.1, such as 7.1.x.
■ If a master server is at 7.1.1, then the media servers and client servers cannot
be at a double-dot version level that is higher than 7.1.1, such as 7.1.2.

NetBackup master server NetBackup media server NetBackup client
7.1 (or greater)                7.0                                6.0, 6.5, 7.0
7.1 (or greater)                7.0.1                             6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.0.1
7.1 (or greater)                7.0.2                             6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2
7.1 (or greater)                7.1                                6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.0.x, 7.1, 7.1.0.x
7.1 (or greater)                7.1.0.1                          6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.0.x, 7.1, 7.1.0.x
7.1 (or greater)                7.1.0.2                          6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.0.x, 7.1, 7.1.0.x
7.1 (or greater)                7.1.0.3                          6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.0.x, 7.1, 7.1.0.x

Hope this helps - sounds like the 4th dot does not cause a conflict

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hmm, yes, I think Mark is techniaccly correct - I had forgotten that.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, my memory is coming back now - .4 releases are not meant to be any 'update' just 'patches'.

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Originally Symantec told that I would need an EEB or that I would need to update the java console to 7.1.0.3.  I was now informed that the Netbackup java admin console 7.1.0.2 is compatible with netbackup 7.1.0.3.

Thanks,

Email from Symantec:

"Another update,  backline has performed preliminary tests with 7.1.0.2 Java console/NBU 7.1.0.3 and no issues have been found.  If you want to move forward with the upgrade you can use the current Java console per support.  Support will maintain the current case ... open during your upgrade."

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Pretty much what I said then - thanks for letting us know the definitive answer