cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Console vs Remote Netbackup Admin Console

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I would like opinions on what is better/worse, any issues you have.

I have always used the Remote Admin Console.

This does require my pc to have a static ip listed in DNS

And the pc name has to be set up on the master to have access

Where I believe the Java console you setup the users to have access.

( I had issues the one time I tried to use the java console because I have other IBM software installed on my pc that uses java).

If any “changes” needed to be done we would always use ‘terminal service’ to get into the windows master.

But in our plans to upgrade to 6.x we are changing the master from windows to unix.

Problem here is out of the 5 people who work with netbackup I am the only unix person they are all windows people.  ( I do have other unix admins that can help them  if needed)

Meaning I HAVE to give them a GUI interface.

I do not want to put Xwindows on their pc’s and have to teach them how to use it.

And if they needed to log into the master I have to set up extra security measures to allow thme to do anything with netbackup as root without being able to hurt anything else on the sever.

So I have to get them to use Remote console or Java Console.

Their job is usually only to check that the backups worked and to import/export tapes, and maybe replace a drive, sometimes they add or remove servers.

So if you were a windows person and wanted a GUI to netbackup on a unix server what which way would you access it.

8 REPLIES 8

h_m
Level 6

Why not install the JAVA GIU on the PC’s, make sure the PC’s are in the conf files on the master and then they will be able to access from their PC’s, as long as all machines have IP connectivity.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
That is one option..... but I have also see some people complain about issues with the java console.

So I would like to know which works best.

Have you had any issues with the Java console?
anything that you CANNOT DO via the Java console?

h_m
Level 6
Layout and look and feel of the java gui is a bit different. Thing the JAVA GUI does that the other one cant is adiministering application cluster storage units etc.

And because you have to authenticate its a bit more secure.

Message Edited by h m on 08-10-200709:16 AM

FJ_Cruiser
Level 2
You might want to pass in the -ms512 variable when calling unix jnbSA.

Can someone post a link to download the Java Admin Console "Patch" for 6.0.  Looking for a patch link online.

thanks

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Click on "Downloads" in the right hand panel, then filter for your O/S and NBU versions...

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
and why u dont left your windows box has the admin console, they can access to the windows box with the admin console installed and done.

hope this helps.
Regards

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
the windows box has always giveing us issues as the master.
quite often requireing a reboot "just because it is windows"
where my unix servers never give me issues and work great.
And as I am the Netbackup Admin (lead)  and a Unix Admin - making the master unix would make me happier and I would not have to fight with the windows box any more.

We just have had too many issues with windows as the master and hope that a unix master will give us less problems.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I prefer the windows admin for myself but the java for others that want access.