cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Completed with Exit Status 96

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi Everybody !

Today, (actually since 2 weeks now...) I am encountering the Exit Status 96.

Not only this code error but also, 40, 190, 191. Maybe there is a relation.. (?)

• Master Server (which has also a role as Media Server)

- Operating System = Win. 2008 Server R2 SP1 (64-bit OS)
- NBU Version = 7.0.1

• Media Server (x2)

- Media Server A
* Operating System = Win. 2003 Server R2 SP2 (Enterprise Ed.)

- Media Server B
* Operating System = Win. 2003 Server R2 SP2 (Enterprise Ed.)

Still I am a beginner in the NetBackup Env., can someone tell me what it is needed to send for a deep analysis and maybe a solution ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Lanira.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I had a look at the output files that you sent.

Tape summary report shows us when tapes will expire. At this point the media-id's listed can be put back in the robots.

2 - will expire within 1 week
#####  expires 07/24/2014 02:00
##### expires 07/26/2014 22:02
7 - will expire between 1 and 2 weeks
##### expires 07/30/2014 23:00
##### expires 08/04/2014 05:00
##### expires 08/04/2014 02:00
##### expires 08/01/2014 02:00
##### expires 08/02/2014 18:32
##### expires 08/03/2014 00:11
##### expires 08/05/2014 04:00
2 - will expire between 2 and 3 weeks
##### expires 08/06/2014 22:10
#####  expires 08/06/2014 22:10
11 - will expire between 1 month and 2 months

You also have quite a number of Infinity expiration dates meaning that those tapes will never expire.

available_media output shows lots of available (expired) tapes that are not in any of the robots (Robot Type: NONE).

You have multiple pools, no Scratch pool and 2 robots. 

So, as per status 96 wizard, have a look at specific jobs that failed with 96:
Which Storage Unit is specified? This will give you robot number.
Which Pool is specified for this job? 

So, you can now go to available_media report, search for pool name, and then check if there are empty (Available) tapes in that pool in the correct robot.

You will see that lots of tapes in robot 0 are FULL. So, no more backups or duplications can be appended.

You have a number of Available tapes in robot 1 in None pool.
These tapes cannot be used for backups or duplications.
Only Cleaning tapes should be in None pool.
You can move these tapes to a pool that can be used for backups or duplications.

You may also want to consider creating a Scratch pool and move expired/Unassigned/Available tapes into Scratch pool.
Any pool that needs media can draw from Scratch if no suitable tapes can be found in that pool.

Tapes that come from Scratch pool will automatically be returned to Scratch when they expire.
You will have to go through a manual process to move expired tapes to Scratch at least once so that auto-scratch can kick in.

You may also want to re-look at retention levels. Hardly any company has a real need for Infinity. If there is a 5-year or 7-year retention requirement, you can customize and unused retention level in Global Properties.

It also seems as if multiple retention levels per media is allowed (enabled).
Not a good idea.

This means that a daily backup with short retention and an Infinity backup can be written to the same tape. 
This tape can never be reused and space taken up by expired backups cannot be reused. 
Only when ALL images on a tape has expired can a tape be overwritten from the beginning. 

See this excellent blog:  Understanding how NetBackup writes to a tape. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne

Status 96 means there are no more suitable tapes to backup to or use for duplication.

See this Status 96 wizard:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid... 

On a daily basis, run this command from cmd to verify available media:

<install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\goodies > available_media

If lots of output, you may want to send output to a text file, e.g. available_media > C:\temp\media.txt

Another useful report to run regularly from NBU GUI:

Reports -> Tape Summary Report (with Verbose option selected).

The status 191 could be because of the status 96.
Status 40 is a network error and needs to be looked at separately.

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I would prefer to send you the log in private if you don't see any harm.

Best Regards,

Lanira

Marianne

The wizard and reports should help you to identify the reason for status 96.

If you are still battling after working through the wizard, you can send me available_media output file via PM.

I will reply here without giving site details.
The idea with this forum is to firstly help the user experiencing an issue (you) but also have information in a public forum where other NBU users with similar issues can find help by reading the solution to your post.

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

I have already sent to you the log in PM.

Yes yes, I agree. There is no problem to reply in this forum, and thank to you and all of the team, lots of my issues has been resolved so I can understand. smiley

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

I did the Wizard (Symantec Online Virtual Assistant ) but there is a weird question which is :

"Question) Are those tapes from the requested volume pool(INFO-4) which have the same density type as the requested storage unit's density (INFO-2) loaded inside the requested storage unit's robotic library (INFO-3)? "

The " how to " says that I have to select a Scratch volume pool but no Scratch Pool has been configured...

Regards,

Lanira

Marianne

I had a look at the output files that you sent.

Tape summary report shows us when tapes will expire. At this point the media-id's listed can be put back in the robots.

2 - will expire within 1 week
#####  expires 07/24/2014 02:00
##### expires 07/26/2014 22:02
7 - will expire between 1 and 2 weeks
##### expires 07/30/2014 23:00
##### expires 08/04/2014 05:00
##### expires 08/04/2014 02:00
##### expires 08/01/2014 02:00
##### expires 08/02/2014 18:32
##### expires 08/03/2014 00:11
##### expires 08/05/2014 04:00
2 - will expire between 2 and 3 weeks
##### expires 08/06/2014 22:10
#####  expires 08/06/2014 22:10
11 - will expire between 1 month and 2 months

You also have quite a number of Infinity expiration dates meaning that those tapes will never expire.

available_media output shows lots of available (expired) tapes that are not in any of the robots (Robot Type: NONE).

You have multiple pools, no Scratch pool and 2 robots. 

So, as per status 96 wizard, have a look at specific jobs that failed with 96:
Which Storage Unit is specified? This will give you robot number.
Which Pool is specified for this job? 

So, you can now go to available_media report, search for pool name, and then check if there are empty (Available) tapes in that pool in the correct robot.

You will see that lots of tapes in robot 0 are FULL. So, no more backups or duplications can be appended.

You have a number of Available tapes in robot 1 in None pool.
These tapes cannot be used for backups or duplications.
Only Cleaning tapes should be in None pool.
You can move these tapes to a pool that can be used for backups or duplications.

You may also want to consider creating a Scratch pool and move expired/Unassigned/Available tapes into Scratch pool.
Any pool that needs media can draw from Scratch if no suitable tapes can be found in that pool.

Tapes that come from Scratch pool will automatically be returned to Scratch when they expire.
You will have to go through a manual process to move expired tapes to Scratch at least once so that auto-scratch can kick in.

You may also want to re-look at retention levels. Hardly any company has a real need for Infinity. If there is a 5-year or 7-year retention requirement, you can customize and unused retention level in Global Properties.

It also seems as if multiple retention levels per media is allowed (enabled).
Not a good idea.

This means that a daily backup with short retention and an Infinity backup can be written to the same tape. 
This tape can never be reused and space taken up by expired backups cannot be reused. 
Only when ALL images on a tape has expired can a tape be overwritten from the beginning. 

See this excellent blog:  Understanding how NetBackup writes to a tape. 

Hope this helps!

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Thanks you so much for your reply.

I will study your reply and report it to my team.
I will let you the feedback in one week - 10days.

Regards,

Lanira

Marianne

Feedback in 10 days?

I thought I gave you enough info to solve your status 96 errors right away!
Or at least within an hour or so?

lanira_1509
Level 4

Sure, you gave me back enough info !
But, one of my member is in holiday...

The regular meeting I have with my team is on Friday.. But this week, my company give us a holiday so I will have to wait next week.
But, I think I will put your remark as a solution !

Thank you again for your help !!!!

Marianne

The info should help you to at least ensure that robot and pools have tapes for immediate use.

Other changes like Scratch pool and retention levels can be discussed and implemented at a later stage.