cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Retry Logic

Vinay_Singh1
Level 3
Partner

The default job retry logic of netbackup is to retry a failed job 2 retries per 12 hours with a defined retry interval of 10 minutes.

Most of the jobs are sticking to this logic but I get few child jobs which retry more than 3-4 times in a span of less than 12 hours.

Is there something that doesnt meet my eye?

Master Server is version 7.1.0.4

Regards

Vinay

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

A user/operator resubmitting jobs maybe?

Vinay_Singh1
Level 3
Partner

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for the reply..The job id remains the same so there is no manual jobs submitted.

All the remaining policies stick with the 2 retry count but it seems to be happening with only couple of policies.

Regards

Vinay

Marianne
Job retry is a global setting. I cannot see a reason why NBU would apply different rule to individual policies. Faild jobs in Incomplete stare can be restarted in Activity Monitor. Job Id stays the same.

Vinay_Singh1
Level 3
Partner

Hi Marianne,

I think what you meant was Resume the incomplete job as the restart of incomplete job always gives you a different Job ID.

Regards

Vinay

Marianne

Difference between Resume and Restart:

A resumed job reuses the same job ID, but a restarted job receives a new job ID. 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

" I cannot see a reason why NBU would apply different rule to individual policies."

... this is NBU after all 

NBU is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

These child jobs, are they dofferent than other child jobs that fail and retry as you would expect.

If there is some difference, then perhaps we can hunt someting down.

maybe certain type of jobs behave slightly differerently (well clearly they do ... )

Martin

Vinay_Singh1
Level 3
Partner

Yes Martin NBU is definitely a box of chocolate, I had a taste of it regulary when I was in symantec NBU support in India.. Coming back to the policies which are behaving wayward, they are exactly similar to the other multistreaming enabled policies..

Will check if I can find more info from the logs.

Thanks Marianne and Martin for keeping this forum alive and informative.

Regards

Vinay