cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Scheduling (bpsched vs pem vs cron vs other)

udubplate
Level 4
I am interested if anyone is currently using or has used a different method of scheduling NetBackup jobs other than bpsched or pem? For example cron. If so, what are you reasons for doing so and limitations that caused you to move away from bpsched or pem? If this was something you did previously when only bpsched existed and later migrated back to using bpsched or more recently pem as its scalability/stability improved in your opinion, what version of NBU were you running when you migrated back to bpsched or pem? Any other thoughts on this topic are also encouraged.
6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I use cron on some of my unix servers to backup the informix or oracle databases.

I do this because we backup to disk first ( much quicker), now we could set up disk backup and then dup to tape - but we do not have vault and that is a lot of extra stuff.

We have a large drive on each of the database servers.

we backup the database to this drive, then put the backup file to tape.

this allows for a quick restore if they need it, or to refresh our dev and test environments quicker.

So we have a unix script that informix or oracle runs.

the script does whatever the DBA's need it to do to send the backup to disk.

the script does some error checking, if the backup to disk fails it send and email to the DBA's to check it out and get it restarted.

if the backup to disk is good, it runs a user backup.

My policy ONLY has a user schedule in it, one for dailies and one for weekends.

so the veritas command to send the backup file to tape is in the script and it starts a backup to tape.

again we do error checking, if the backup to tape fails, it sends and email the netbackup group to check it out and fix it.

So the reasons....

going to disk is quicker on the database.

we can error check easy and send an email to the proper group.

the disk backup is easier/faster to use for refreshes.

we don't backup to tape UNTIL the backup to disk is done. 

If one was cron and one was netbackup we would have to do some checking to make sure the backup to disk was done BEFORE we started the backup to tape.  The script takes care of that.

So cron just makes this easier for the database backups.

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Hinchcliffe: I am from WIndows Platform;We too Backup Unix Clients but incase of any issues in client then unix admin guys will help me out !

I dont understand what you mean cron here ! Can u please clarify me on this !

flekzout
Level 3

Hi Karthikeyan,

in unix we have a command call as crontab, this cron is a command that can schedule to execute a job base on time that you configure. more information you can find in below link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Hei Thanks man ! Let me check that !

Now I have installed new Testing Setup with Solaris OS ! I have to study all unix commands  :(

Soonly i will become a Unix admin ! :manvery-happy:

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

an example for Karthikeyan Sundaram

45 21 * * 1-5 /dba/scripts/dbBackup.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

each user on a unix box has there own cron file.

the above is for informix or oracle.

at 21:45 at night on Monday - Friday nights (1-5)  the script dbBackup.sh in the directory /dba/scripts will be run the. > is to redirect any output of the script to dev/null ( meaning I don't want to se it)

the script has the database backup commands in it and the  error checking as well as the netbackup command to send the backup file to tape and error checking.

I am a unix person so do not understand the windows job scheduler - but I think they are kind of the same.

Stumpr2
Level 6
We have used autosys to schedule, monitor and report some customer's backups only because autosys was already installed for non Netbackup procedures.