cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Status/Failure E-Mails arriving late

GeForce123
Level 5

Has anyone seen an issue where emails about job failures arrive day(s) late? We receive emails normally but have lately seen emails about jobs failing arriving late (while other job failure emails arrive normally). For the most part, if not all of the late/delayed emails seem to be in regards to VMware jobs. The emails only come from the master server, the media servers that are the backup host/media server send the emails normally.

I've looked at the /var/log/maillog files as well as /var/log/messages and nothing really shows a sign of delayed emails. We had an open ticket with Veritas but after going over everything, they didn't have any idea. We suggested that we could reboot and see if that fixed the issue and would reopen the ticket if the issue was not resolved. The reboot didn't fix the issue and we asked our Linux team to take a look and they are unsure as to why we would be getting emails day(s) late.

3 REPLIES 3

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
From netbackup side the first thing to check would be when the call to nbmail is made.. If that call is made on time then the troubleshooting part would be debugging sendmail and the network traffic from the master to the smtp server to verify if it is actually receiving the sent request on time.

By any chance was the date on the master server changed? Or is the master server in a different timezone?

Could you send me a message with the Veritas case number will try checking what was collected and what was done on it..

For email alerts NetBackup’s part is to just make the call to the script which in turn would send emails.. So its kind of very limited troubleshooting that can be done from NetBackup side

Hey @Amol_Nair

The master server hasn't changed date/times.

Nothing was really collected during the Veritas case while we had it open. The tech looked through some logs while on a call and asked some questions.

I figured it would be limited troubleshooting on NetBackup's side.

Is there a limit as to how many emails could be called at once by the master server?

I don't really believe there is any limit to the number of emails that can be called. Because at the end of the day, NetBackup is simply calling the script. You may need to check if there is an limit.

If the jobs are configured for Server send email, then you can search for "sendViaScript" in the bpbrm logs on the media server (if master acts as the media server then search for this keyword in the bpbrm logs on the master server). Don't remember if you need the logs to be at verbose level 5 or not for this keyword to appear in it which shows you the command that is run in the backend to call the script to send emails.

Regarding your query in regards to the limit, it could be a limit from the SMTP server side, probably you could take a look at this link if this helps out

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/send-email-limit.html