cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job failing with 58 error can't figure out why

smwoodcrafts
Level 6
We have a client that was running fine, but started failing a couple days ago. I logged in and created bpbkar, vnetd and bpcd folders on the client and bpbrm on the media server. We fail to connect no file is created on the client. That would tell me that it doesn't get there or is stopped coming in. Windows firewall isn't running and the client is listening on the correct ports.
Master/Media servers  Windows 2003, Netbackup 6.5.2a
Client:  Windows 2008, Netbackup 6.5.2a for x64

Not too sure how to proceed.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
STATUS CODE 58: Can't connect to client. Troubleshooting procedures for Status 58 errors.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321172.htm

Hostname resolution maybe? Someone changed DNS entries or similar?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

shans
Level 4
pls check the network connectivity between your master server and client.

Also please check are you able to telnet through 13782,13724  ports  bi-directionally

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
STATUS CODE 58: Can't connect to client. Troubleshooting procedures for Status 58 errors.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321172.htm

Hostname resolution maybe? Someone changed DNS entries or similar?

smwoodcrafts
Level 6
Connectivity via Telnet to client appears to be fine. Telnet is not loaded on any of our 2008 servers, so not sure how to test that. IP hasn't changed and DNS is correct. Resolution is correct. Looked though the procedures and everything appears to be correct. I'm going to have to dig a little deeper.

Will_Restore
Level 6
use Netbackup utilities: bpclntcmd and bptestbpcd

smwoodcrafts
Level 6
Thanks, I'll remember that. Found out that something was done to this server that stopped SCOM from working as well. We ended up having to uninstall and reinstall the client which had it's own problems.

smwoodcrafts

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

The job ran once after the re-install and started failing again. When we tried to uninstall the client before, we couldn't go through the control panel. We had to use the install program to remove it. I tried to uninstall/reinstall the client once more and now I can't uninstall the client through any method. Through control panel, it just doesn't do it and through the install program, it stops with an error. Checked the Windows logs and can't find an error. This is driving me crazier than I already am.

smwoodcrafts

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Obviously something wrong with that client specifically. Hand the problem over to your Microsoft support team.

smwoodcrafts
Level 6
I would love to do that. Unfortunately, they see it as "you can't connect, so it's your problem. Find us a solution." So I'm stuck banging my head against the wall.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
i.e. maintenance pack then base?

Have you tried re-booting the client?

Have you tried re-installing? If successful it may then allow a proper un-install.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you ever have a look at bpcd log file on the client? We need something to work with - there are so many possible reasons for status 58.

This is just one of them:
(Extract from TN 321172 that Andy posted):

Windows 2008 clients may have the Domain Firewall, Private Firewall, and Public Firewall turned on. Either disable these firewalls in Windows firewall properties. Or create exceptions for ports 13724, 13782, and exceptions, if necessary for Netbackup processes.

Will_Restore
Level 6
blush

Jacob
Level 4
Most code 58 have ben solved with the following procedure

On backup server:
telnet <client name> vnetd
- If telnet fail or disconnect right way, check that port 13724 is open in your firewall if that is the case, restart NetBackup Client Service or if restart of NetBackup Client Service isn’t enough reboot the server.

bpgetconfig -g <client name>
- If bpgetconfig fail (and telnet is successful) verify that the client can see backup server names in DNS or host files. If you are using Windows 2008 R2 make sure that both inbound and outbound connections is allowed for port 13724.