cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job status

imnkk456
Level 3

Hello,

As a temporary replacement of netbackup resource after some days i have to monitor if all jobs are being backed up properly.

Now i need some clarification on jobs that are shown in activity monitor. While checking the activity monitor i noticed that some jobs starts with schedule "-" and the child job then starts with proper schedule name like "DAILY-INCR". what this is all about.

For any RMAN some jobs starts with defined schedule name let say "DAILY-FULL" and some with the name of "Daily-Application-Backu" --- didnt get why.

For any RMAN and SQL for any specific policy let say the daily pattern or the daily backup consists of one parent and 5 children. For any day if one of the child job fails then we have to manually retry the job and then if all the 5 children ad 1 parent jobs are successful we will consider the backup successful for this day or no. Furthermore, for the RMAN if one child job is failed and all other succeeded and then we reinitiate the backup the earlier incomlete backup will be kept in storage or no.

Sorry if the questions are silly------just started with netbackup.

BR,

Imran. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Schedule "-" is a control job. Its task i life is to monitor the child jobs

DAILY-FULL vs Daily-Application-Backup

If a database job does not specify a policy  and schedule (see page 90 in the NBU Oracle admin guide), Netbackup will try to match the best policy using "Daily-Application-Backup". My recommendation is to hunt those jobs down and ensure they specify policy/schedule.

See both the Netbackup Oracle Administrators guide as well as Netbackup SQL Administrators guide.

A backup image will be kept by Netbackup if it exit with status code 0. So in the case where you have 5 data streams from a Oracle database and one of them fail you will have 4 data stream taking up space in Netbackup.

I highly recommend Netbackup Oracle Intelligent Policies. Much easier than script based backups

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Schedule names can be called anything you like, that is why some say DAILY-FULL and Daily-Application-Backu

Not sure about the other questions as I don't understand what is being asked.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Schedule "-" is a control job. Its task i life is to monitor the child jobs

DAILY-FULL vs Daily-Application-Backup

If a database job does not specify a policy  and schedule (see page 90 in the NBU Oracle admin guide), Netbackup will try to match the best policy using "Daily-Application-Backup". My recommendation is to hunt those jobs down and ensure they specify policy/schedule.

See both the Netbackup Oracle Administrators guide as well as Netbackup SQL Administrators guide.

A backup image will be kept by Netbackup if it exit with status code 0. So in the case where you have 5 data streams from a Oracle database and one of them fail you will have 4 data stream taking up space in Netbackup.

I highly recommend Netbackup Oracle Intelligent Policies. Much easier than script based backups