cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job successfully done, but can not be found in the restore client!

ahmed_hewady
Level 2
Partner

Hello!

I'm facing a trouble regarding a MS-SQL backup.

Recently I've been taking backup from a MS-SQL, I was monitoring the jobs and it was fine except for a child job with error code 48 and its content was (Unable to write to "path").

But i checked the catalog more than once to validate either the backup were taken or not and i found it so i didnt care that much.

Now, I'm trying to perform a restore i cant find the restore client any of the backup images, once again I checked the catalog and the images were found.

Failing job log:

6/12/2016 9:09:24 AM - Error bprd(pid=8036) Unable to write progress log </C/Program��Files/Veritas/NetBackup/Logs/user_ops/dbext/logs/5964.0.1465715492> on client erpq. Policy=SAP_ERPQ_Database Sched=NONE  
6/12/2016 9:09:24 AM - Error bprd(pid=8036) CLIENT erpq  POLICY SAP_ERPQ_Database  SCHED NONE  EXIT STATUS 48 (client hostname could not be found)

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Check the client name carefully. Can you ping this name from the media server and the master server?

ahmed_hewady
Level 2
Partner

Yes!

Also, Any idea how can i do something like "import" to make the restore client update the backup images to be synced with the catalog?

Thanks for your response.

Shaf
Level 6

Hi,

please select the appropriate restore type in backup and restore tap

ahmed_hewady
Level 2
Partner

Thanks for your response!

The problem was in the Machine name not the restore type.

Job still failing though!

Shaf
Level 6

hey, 

sorry i misunderstood your question,

its unable to write the progress log, 

check the directory is not full and also check the directory permissions /C/Program��Files/Veritas/NetBackup/Logs/user_ops/dbext/logs

and slo try to clear the cache,

try running

bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache both on master and client.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Let us get back to the beginning....

The following simply does not make sense (to me): 

Recently I've been taking backup from a MS-SQL, I was monitoring the jobs and it was fine except for a child job with error code 48 and its content was (Unable to write to "path").

But i checked the catalog more than once to validate either the backup were taken or not and i found it ....

Please help me to understand what "it was fine" means.
Did the parent job complete successfully? 
How many child jobs were created?
Are you saying a number of child jobs were created and only ONE failed with status 48?

Please show us what you see. 
Show us result of backup jobs for this policy in Activity Monitor.
(You can filter Activity Monitor to only see jobs for this backup and then export the output to a .txt file. Post the .txt file)

Please also show us what you see in the catalog.
(Screenshot will be fine.)

The error that you posted points to comms issue between the master and the client.
I find it strange that some backups will be fine and some failing with this error.

For further troubleshooting, ensure that the following logs exist:

On master: bprd (restart NBU after creating the log folder)

On media server: bptm and bpbrm

On SQL client: dbclient

NBU35
Level 6

Is master server of your source & destination client same ? If not, then add the entry to master server in BAR> FIle> specify NetBackup CLient & policy type and then ensure proper connectivity.

once it works in MS SQL AGent for netbackup > Set NetBackup CLient Server Properties > Choose CUrrent Netbackup Server  (it should be master server of Source client).

And retry the restore, if it fails , then please post DBclient, bpcd logs .