cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs failing with Error code 230

Sayan_Saha1
Level 3

I have 2 decommissioned servers ( windows ) , they were running on netbackup NetBackup-Solaris10 7.6.0.1 .We have deleted the policy and the servers are now permanently decommed  .

Still we are receiving the below error . ( The detailed status is empty )

11154240 Backup Done   230 *NULL* User_Backup XXX   Mon Nov 30 11:46:01 IST 2015 0 Mon Nov 30 11:46:01 IST 2015             100   XXX   11154240                     XXX          
11154239 Backup Done   230 *NULL* User_Backup XXX   Mon Nov 30 11:46:01 IST 2015 0 Mon Nov 30 11:46:01 IST 2015             100   XXX   11154239                     XXX          

Can anyone please suggest what is the cause of the issue and how to stop this error from coming into GUI as the backups and the servers are already decommissioned , we have checked with all the DB teams , if there are any scripts running from other servers for these 2 decommed ones , they don't know it .. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need more. 
You need to find where it starts with something like :

logconnections: BPRD ACCEPT FROM <IP-address.source-port> TO <master-ip.dest-port>
connected_peer: Connection from host <name>, <IP-address>

Look at the time in Activity Monitor and search bprd log around that time.

If you do not want to post your log in a public forum, you can copy the log to bprd.txt and send it to me via Private Message.

Just let me know what time the backup was attempted.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Level 6

>bperror -S 230
the specified policy does not exist in the configuration database
The specified policy name does not exist.

Seems the client machines are still up and runing and still trying to run scripts from OS scheduler to run user-initiated backups.

Will_Restore
Level 6

"if there are any scripts running from other servers for these 2 decommed ones"

=========

That is certainly what it looks like.  Search for clientname in Master Server logs for possible clues.

install_path\NetBackup\logs\bpbrm

Will_Restore
Level 6

"if there are any scripts running from other servers for these 2 decommed ones"

=========

That is certainly what it looks like.  Search for clientname in Master Server logs for possible clues.

install_path\NetBackup\logs\bpbrm

Marianne
Level 6
Also check if there are any 3rd-party schedulers in the environment still running backup scripts for these clients.

Sayan_Saha1
Level 3

Thanks for you suggestions . 

I have checked the steps you have suggested . There is no third party scheduler , and the server team saying that it is already decommissioned . Not running now .

I could not find any entry in bpbrm with the server name . Is there anything else I can do and check ?

Marianne
Level 6

bprd log on the master server will log the client user backup request.

Ensure bprd log folder exists on the master server.
If not, create the folder under netbackup\logs and restart NBU.

Next time you see this error, look in bprd log on the master server to see the IP address where the user request is coming from.

PS:
Have you checked if the machines are really down/turned off?
Have you tried to ping them from the master?

Sayan_Saha1
Level 3

Yes they are down , and ping is not working for them . ping: unknown host . I will create the bprd logs and wait for the next failure .

Marianne
Level 6

Please remember to restart NBU after creating bprd folder. 
User requests will only be logged after restart.

Sayan_Saha1
Level 3

This is what I am getting , when i am doing grep in bprd logs with the decomissioned server name .

00:38:05.085 [2190] <2> db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: hostname server1_bk not configured for client Decommed_server
00:38:05.408 [2201] <2> db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: accessing client /usr/openv/netbackup/db/client/Decommed_server
00:38:05.408 [2201] <2> db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: hostname server1_bk not configured for client Decommed_server
00:38:05.432 [2211] <2> db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: accessing client /usr/openv/netbackup/db/client/Decommed_server
00:38:05.433 [2211] <2> db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: hostname server1_bk not configured for client Decommed_server
00:38:05.498 [2214] <2> db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: accessing client /usr/openv/netbackup/db/client/Decommed_server
00:38:05.498 [2214] <2> db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: hostname server1_bk not configured for client Decommed_server
00:38:05.625 [2218] <2> db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: accessing client /usr/openv/netbackup/db/client/Decommed_server
00:38:05.625 [2218] <2> db_getCLIENT_by_hostname: hostname server1_bk not configured for client Decommed_server

Marianne
Level 6

You need more. 
You need to find where it starts with something like :

logconnections: BPRD ACCEPT FROM <IP-address.source-port> TO <master-ip.dest-port>
connected_peer: Connection from host <name>, <IP-address>

Look at the time in Activity Monitor and search bprd log around that time.

If you do not want to post your log in a public forum, you can copy the log to bprd.txt and send it to me via Private Message.

Just let me know what time the backup was attempted.

Sayan_Saha1
Level 3

Hi Marianne , 

The time when the failure occurred , I could not find any line with <16> in the bprd , nor an ip which is not registered . I am not allowed to increase the logging level in this holiday season . I have to do it after few weeks . Thanks for your suggestions , it was helpful . 

Marianne
Level 6

There will not necessarily be a <16> or an 'unregistered' IP address.

I have seen this logged in bprd as 'debug' <2>. 

The request is coming from a 'known' IP address because it worked previously.

It will not be necessary to increase logging. The info will be there. Trust me.
The offer is still there to look at the log if you want to PM me with it. Or copy the section that covers the time to a file.
Pleas attach the log as .txt file. (I can open .txt on my laptop or my mobile without needing to download it first)