cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs not finishing

sql_noob
Level 4

i have a few SQL backup jobs where the master job that runs the script never finishes and says active long after the databases have been backed up. each of the database backup jobs ends as Status 0, but the master job doesn't end until i kill it manually

11 REPLIES 11

Abesama
Level 6
Partner
It would be a good idea to start applying latest patches to both the server and client.

Also, you can try backups of one database at a time, and see if the "master job" (parent job) completes.
(If it does, then re-create the script to backup multiple databases at a time, see if it helps)

Abe

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
1st try to make a simple MS-WINDOWS-NT policy and take the backup

Try below link also
1.) https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-can-we-do-basic-netbackup-troubleshooting-windows-any-aspect

2.) http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273567.htm

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
this problem can be due to bpend_notify script not working

check this below mentioned kb article...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/272332.htm

also check is the bpend_notify script located under {install_path}\netbackup\bin\ and with execution permission?

sql_noob
Level 4
going to read the links

i killed all the running jobs this morning. created a test script with one database and it ran fine and finished. then reran one of the problem jobs on one server and it ran fine also. only thing i changed in the script is i got rid of an empty line on top. when i created the script it had a line for groupsize that i deleted because i find it annoying. sometimes i'll add a database and forget about this and find out weeks later it's not backing up. going to get rid of the empty line on the others and see what happens.

only thing is i looked and i don't see the bpstart_notify and bpend_notify scripts anywhere on the client or server. Mater/Media server is running 6.5.3 on Windows 2003 R2 x64 SP2. Clients are running 6.5.3 or 6 MP4. the 6.5.3 clients haven't been rebooted since the install. it said to reboot for VSS or something but we don't use snapshots. maybe i'll just start rebooting the clients

sql_noob
Level 4
i have another theory i'm testing out

we clear the logs and i rescheduled this so it doesn't run during backups

sql_noob
Level 4
i upgraded my master/media server to 6.5.4 and some weird problems seem to have gone away. over the weekend i've had only one server where this happened and i'm upgrading the client to 6.5.4 to see if it will fix it. I've also upgraded a few other clients to 6.5.4 as well and have been pleased so far

also noticed that the paging file wasn't set properly. it's Windows 2003 x64 with 32GB of RAM and the paging file was set for 2GB - 4GB. changed it and going to reboot it tonight

Will_Restore
Level 6
Must be getting old - remember when 640k was all anyone could ever need.

I'm glad the upgrade has eliminated some weird problems.

WY-Thinker
Level 2

I have the same issue. it appear that althoght various Default Application jobs run backing up a few large databases taking around 3hrs, the master job always fails after 2hrs and a few seconds.

It fails with
network connection broken(40)
02/07/2009 03:27:27 - Error bpbrm(pid=2776) could not write EXIT STATUS to stderr

Is there a timeout somewhere that could be causing this 2hr aspect or is it a coincidence?

sql_noob
Level 4
never had an error code 40, but i'm upgrading some clients one by one to 6.5.4 and noticed that dbbackup.exe seems to be running. in some cases multiple instances even though there is no backup or restore running. i think it's a memory leak or something similar

Will_Restore
Level 6

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BUG REPORT: An MS SQL backup parent job has an "Active" status, but hangs until it times out or is canceled. The dbbackex.exe process on the MS SQL Client does not exit.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315659.htm

This was for 6.5.2. Check what is the netbackup version on the sql server