cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just added a Media Server. Should the Master server be listed on Media Servers Tab under Host Properties?

RocketBeta
Level 3

I just added a Media server to a Master server that didn't previously use a dedicated Media server.  I noticed that under Host Properties > Servers > Media Servers tab, the Master server is listed in addition to the Media server I just added.  Is this the proper way to configure it (best practice?), or can I remove the Master server from the Media Servers tab?  Or would it not hurt to just leave the Master server listed there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

You need the master server there. A master server install also installs the media server. SO it is part and parcel of the install. Who knows you may want to use it some time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

You need the master server there. A master server install also installs the media server. SO it is part and parcel of the install. Who knows you may want to use it some time.

RocketBeta
Level 3

Thanks.  Just a followup question, I noticed that in the Admin Console when new jobs run, the Master server is still listed under the Media Server column.  Does that sound correct?  Or is there a way to check or force the actual Media server into initiating and processing backups?

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Yes it does sound right if you did not change your policies to use a specific STU. If you left it at <any> then you will use the media server that is a part of the master server install.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

If the master server is still listed in the Media Server column, then your media server is probably not performing any work.  This would defeat the purpose of adding the media server in the first place.  I recommend you create a Storage Unit that specifies the new media server. You would then need to change either the policies or the individual schedules to make use of the new storage unit.

If you want to divide backup duties between the master/media combination server and the new standalone media server, you might want to try creating a Storage Unit Group, and put both of the storage units in that group.  You can then specify how you want the two servers to be selected for backup jobs: failover, round-robin, prioritized, or load balancing.  Then change the policies or schedules to specify the new Storage Unit Group.

If your master server is being taxed by all of your backups (which would be the main reason for adding a media server), and if you are only using a few tape drives anyway, I would suggest changing all of your policies to just use the media server's Storage Unit, and your master server could just do master server stuff (managing backup images, scheduling backup jobs, monitoring jobs, etc.). 

At a certain point, most big data centers end up with one (or more) master server to handle schedule and catalog duties, and multiple media servers that actually handle the data movement.