cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just one more question about producing a netbackup client list w/ version..

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Okay, I know this question was covered and it's been beat to death on other, older, postings but I had something else to add ontop of that:

How does one produce a client list w/ version on a windows master server, from the command line?

The output, ideally, would be similar to this:

Client OS Hardware Version

abc Win PC 5.1
lnx linux redhat 4.5

I know that bppllist produced a policy listing. bpplclients also does something similar as well and would be ideal for this purpose, except that it does not include the version. Unfortunately, windows doesn't support the GREP command and thus cannot grab the version from elsewhere... Is there something I'm missing or some other alternative?
7 REPLIES 7

DavidParker
Level 6
Alex,
You're on the master server, why not use the Admin Console?
Go to the Host Properties section, Clients sub-section.
You have to 'connect' to each host, but once you've done it you can do a couple things with the screen: print it or save it to a file.

If you really have to stay with command line, you might need to use Excel or something to sort through the output.

Just a thought ...
DP

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Hey David,
I guess I'm just being especially picky on this one. The client list export, much like the check_coverage script, outputs the data just fine, but not in a list format that I can easily manipulate, even in excel... All I'm looking for is a 'one-line item per client list.' And some of the netbackup commands do provide that except for one teeny tiny detail... the Version.

It looks like I'll just have to create a print screen, then. Buggers!

Stumpr2
Level 6
There is also a text file on every windows client that contains the version in
$INSTALL_DIR\VERITAS\Patch\History.log

Perhaps you could find a way to gather them from each client and assimilate them.

DavidParker
Level 6
Good info in the history.log there, Bob.

Personally, I prefer: \VERITAS\Netbackup\version.txt

Featuring information such as:

HARDWARE Windows x86
VERSION NetBackup 5.1MP5
BUILDNUMBER 0201
RELEASEDATE Wed Apr 5 16:50:18 CDT 2006

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
install cyqwin then you can run unix commands and scripting will be easier for you.

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
I started doing searches tools, online, that would facilitate grep or other UNIX commands. I didn't find the one you mentioned, Dennis. However, there are a number of tools available. So I guess the final answer here is that if you want to produce a client list with version on a windows box then you would need something that provides additional UNIX functionality...

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
http://www.cygwin.com/

getting an xterm to work work with cygwin
http://www.udel.edu/topics/connect/sw/exceed/docs-9/cygwin.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin/X
After reading the wikipedia guide it looks ok except do not run "xhost +" on your machine (just on case you not familiar with X)

Message was edited by:
Dennis Strom