cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KEEP_LOGS_DAYS value

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi,

In master server host properties ----> Clean-up ----> Keep logs value is set for 60 days.

In registry -        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ---> SOFTWARES ---> VERITAS ---> NETBACKUP --->  CURRENTVERSION ---> CONFIG ---> KEEP_LOGS_DAYS value is showing Decimal and Hexadecimal value as 3.

Are these values for different things or what?

By default logs are kept for 28 days, right? Are all three pointing at the the same logs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

- Then what logs point to 28 days (default value)?

- Is this the value of keep logs days that is changed to 60 days in my master server host properties ----> Clean-up ----> Keep logs value?

The 28 day default value for "host properties ----> Clean-up ----> Keep logs " is for ALL process logs, unified and legacy logs under netbackup/logs (if you enable the directory names for those processes)  except for the user_ops logs which is controlled by the KEEP_LOGS_DAYS (which is 3 days)

you have increased your "Clean-up -> Keep Logs"  to 60 days, so you will retain 60 days of legacy and unified logs. I personally would leave it at 28 days, but it you have the space to keep 60 days worth of logs and that is your requirement then that is your decision to make.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Have you tried to change the keep logs value in Netbackup and verified the value also changes in registry ?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO105880

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If you run from the command line the commands below you can verify the logs are kept for your 60 day specification

bpconfig -U | findstr Keep

Keep Error/Debug Logs:        60 days

or

bpconfig -L | findstr Keep
Keep Logs:              60 days

So it is setting it correctly. KEEP_LOGS_DAYS refer to nicolais post above

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The registry value you mentione refers to the following:

On client, start BAR GUI, goto File menu and select NetBackup Client Properties.

On the General Tab, there is an option - "Keep status of user-directed  backups, archives and restores for xx days"

So, yes, this is different than the '28' day log retention.

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi Nicolai,

As in you suggested link, it is talking about the clients Keep logs days.

Does Keep logs days nowhere related to Master Server logs.

What are the differences between the three keep logs that I posted above?

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi mph999,

I got your point.

The registry value of KEEP_LOGS_DAYS that is set to 3 is for user-directed backups, archives and restores for 3 days. 

The keep logs days in master server host properties ----> Clean-up ----> Keep logs value that is set to 60 days is for Keep Error/Debug Logs: 60 days ( as suggested by user revarooo above).

Then what logs point to 28 days (default value)?

Is this the value of keep logs days that is changed to 60 days in my master server host properties ----> Clean-up ----> Keep logs value?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

- Then what logs point to 28 days (default value)?

- Is this the value of keep logs days that is changed to 60 days in my master server host properties ----> Clean-up ----> Keep logs value?

The 28 day default value for "host properties ----> Clean-up ----> Keep logs " is for ALL process logs, unified and legacy logs under netbackup/logs (if you enable the directory names for those processes)  except for the user_ops logs which is controlled by the KEEP_LOGS_DAYS (which is 3 days)

you have increased your "Clean-up -> Keep Logs"  to 60 days, so you will retain 60 days of legacy and unified logs. I personally would leave it at 28 days, but it you have the space to keep 60 days worth of logs and that is your requirement then that is your decision to make.

smith_jones
Level 6

Ok. I got it.

Thanks to all.  :)

Regards,

Smith Jones