cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping master/media server lists up to date on clients

mfalge
Level 3

I’m relatively new to NetBackup. We are in process of upgrading our NetBackup master/media servers from 7.5 to 8.1.2 and we have a mix of Linux and Windows clients. One of the issues we are facing is that we need to create new master/media servers and consequently we need the Windows clients update their registries with the new master/media servers. Since we may be adding more master/media servers as needed we are looking for a way to be able to pull or push and add these servers automatically.

I’m not sure if the latest versions of NetBackup have an automated way of updating the Windows clients with these new master/media servers or if we would need to have some Powershell or Batch script scheduled task to pull these new servers.

Has anyone found a good way to do this?

Thanks,
Mark

5 REPLIES 5

Genericus
   VIP   

I use the java admin console, and select 10-15 at a time, and grab the server page - you can allocate and delete media servers to all the chosen hosts. 

Then just select at least one of the last group and another 10-15, and repeat - you can easily match your clients and delete old names.

A scripted way would rely on bpgetconfig and bpsetconfig or nbgetconfig and nbsetconfig.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Please forgive my newbishness but would these same NetBackup commands work on the Windows clients via a Powershell or Batch script? I wrote a Powershell script that queries our LDAP server and pulls the master/media servers available and writes that to the client's registry key. It's a bit of a hack but it works. I was mostly wondering if there was an easier/prefered way to do this for thousands of clients...maybe on a regular basis?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can run add_media_server_on_clients on the master server.

From https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000031877   : 
The add_media_server_on_clients command reads the server list information from the master server and pushes this list out to clients.  This prevents the need of updating every client manually with the appropriate server list. 

Please bear in mind that add/removing master server name on a client is a different subject.
A client can only have ONE master server.
There needs to be a concious decision to move a client from one master to another.
Here you will use the old master to add the new master as a regular 'server' (i.e. media server) on all clients to be migrated to new master. 
This step is necessary for the clients to accepts connections and update requests from the new master. 
Then, on new master, select the migrated clients in Host Properties -> Clients, and click on 'Make Master'. 

Thanks, Marianne - that might be just what I am looking for. Is there any danger to doing this in Production? Our Master/Media servers are *nix based but the clients are a mix of *nix and Windows servers. Will this command wipe out the current master/media lists on the clients and replace with what the master shows as correct? Does this have different effects on different client versions? Think I mentioned that we are in process of upgrading from 7.5 to 8.1.2. Also, we have different masters for different regions. I'd assume we'd have to do it on each master? Thanks!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@mfalge wrote:

Is there any danger to doing this in Production? Our Master/Media servers are *nix based but the clients are a mix of *nix and Windows servers. Will this command wipe out the current master/media lists on the clients and replace with what the master shows as correct? 

I don't see any 'danger'. It will simply update/replace the SERVER entries on the clients (configured in Policies on this master server) to be the same as the Master's. 

Does this have different effects on different client versions? Think I mentioned that we are in process of upgrading from 7.5 to 8.1.2. 

It will work for all clients that the master has connectivity to. This command has been around for many version (even before 6.x).

Also, we have different masters for different regions. I'd assume we'd have to do it on each master? Thanks!

Yes, you need to do it on each master. 
Each client should only have one master.