cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN-free backup, how to confirm that the backup is LAN-free

kkhoo
Level 5

Hi,

I am having a hard time to explain how to verify that our oracle backup is lan-free backup.

1. first, the client where the database is running is configured as media server. There is fc connection from media server to the backup SAN.

2. the speed is in comparable to LAN backup. I can see the difference.

However, i need your advise to which logs i can check the backup is using fiber transport.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Logs are pointless unless your dba understands netbackup and if he does the fact that the correct storage unit is being used would be enough for them to know that it is.

I would suggest monitoring the network performance and showing that it is not utilizing x MB/s while the backup is running.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Your backup is directed at a storage unit which is configured on a specific host ( that host should be the oracle server). If the storage unit host and the oracle server match then the backup is going over the SAN.

@RiaanBadenhorst 

Thanks for your reply. Exactly what i mentioned to the DBA.

Is there any logs that mentioned about this process, where we can see that backup is going through fc?

RiaanBadenhorst
Logs are pointless unless your dba understands netbackup and if he does the fact that the correct storage unit is being used would be enough for them to know that it is.

I would suggest monitoring the network performance and showing that it is not utilizing x MB/s while the backup is running.

thanks @RiaanBadenhorst .